* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
       [not found] <E1VuTME-00023E-Te@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2013-12-23  2:26 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-23  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: emacs-devel

>   eww: support disabled and readonly text

Nitpick: "support" should be capitalized (since it starts a sentence)
and the sentence should be punctuated.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
@ 2013-12-23 12:00   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-12-23 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 21:26:51 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>> eww: support disabled and readonly text
SM> Nitpick: "support" should be capitalized (since it starts a sentence)
SM> and the sentence should be punctuated.

Regarding the first nitpick: I saw eww as the first word and didn't want
to capitalize it.  But I see both versions in the ChangeLog, from me and
others, e.g.

revno: 114875
committer: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Wed 2013-10-30 15:35:14 -0400
message:
  htmlfontify.el: remove duplicate Version: header

As for punctuation, the commit log is full of messages like this (not
picking on Chong and Glenn in particular):

revno: 115702
committer: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Mon 2013-12-23 11:59:10 +0800
message:
  Rename set-temporary-overlay-map -> set-transient-map

revno: 115699
committer: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Sun 2013-12-22 15:13:18 -0800
message:
  Misc small fixes for some recent doc changes

...so I didn't think punctuation was required in the commit message
itself.  Could the VC commit message mode add highlighting to show these
problems?

Ted

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
@ 2013-12-23 13:54     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-12-23 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> eww: support disabled and readonly text
SM> Nitpick: "support" should be capitalized (since it starts a sentence)
SM> and the sentence should be punctuated.
> Regarding the first nitpick: I saw eww as the first word and didn't want
> to capitalize it.  But I see both versions in the ChangeLog, from me and
> others, e.g.

Yes, it's a very common problem.

> As for punctuation, the commit log is full of messages like this (not
> picking on Chong and Glenn in particular):

Yes, it's even more common (I also forget it sometimes).  It's less
important, tho.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
@ 2013-12-23 14:31       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-12-23 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 08:54:03 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@IRO.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

SM> Nitpick: "support" should be capitalized (since it starts a sentence)
SM> and the sentence should be punctuated.
>> Regarding the first nitpick: I saw eww as the first word and didn't want
>> to capitalize it.  But I see both versions in the ChangeLog, from me and
>> others, e.g.

SM> Yes, it's a very common problem.

>> As for punctuation, the commit log is full of messages like this (not
>> picking on Chong and Glenn in particular):

SM> Yes, it's even more common (I also forget it sometimes).  It's less
SM> important, tho.

Got it, thanks.  I'll be more careful.

Ted

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115669: eww: support disabled and readonly text
@ 2013-12-23 18:54     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-12-23 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Regarding the first nitpick: I saw eww as the first word and didn't want
> to capitalize it.  But I see both versions in the ChangeLog, from me and
> others, e.g.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! ;)

The commit log is not the ChangeLog (no matter how much some people
might like it to be). So when you say "I see both versions in the
ChangeLog", your examples are all incorrect, since they do not come
from the ChangeLog.

> revno: 115702
> committer: Chong Yidong <cyd@gnu.org>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Mon 2013-12-23 11:59:10 +0800
> message:
>   Rename set-temporary-overlay-map -> set-transient-map
[...]
> revno: 115699
> committer: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Sun 2013-12-22 15:13:18 -0800
> message:
>   Misc small fixes for some recent doc changes

Those are examples of the summary line that starts a commit.

I adhere to the convention that these look best if treated like the
Subject: header of an email. These traditionally start with a capital
and do not end with a full-stop.

I feel like I've seen this written down somewhere wrt commit messages,
but cannot find it now, so maybe I made that up.

The slightly different convention of:

  module: change in this module

which is what Ted used, is followed eg by coreutils. I also think this
looks fine.

Yours nitpick-for-nitpick,