* Re: master b082371: Change do-not-merge pattern to "do not merge"
       [not found] ` <E1aiSQh-0005od-V6@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2016-03-22 22:28   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2016-03-22 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Paul Eggert

Paul Eggert wrote:

> branch: master
> commit b08237185ec044c8afff0feb88a126512b33a6d8
> Author: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Commit: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>
>     Change do-not-merge pattern to "do not merge"

Not broad enough. Should also include "don't merge", "no need to merge",
etc. (Unless you think you can get Emacs developers to follow a
convention, which history suggests is unlikely.) This pattern needs to
err on the side of false positives rather than false negatives; and the
person using it needs to think whether to answer yes or no to each
"skip" question. (Nothing here has changed since the bzr days.)

* Re: master b082371: Change do-not-merge pattern to "do not merge"
@ 2016-03-22 23:50     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-03-22 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, emacs-devel

On 03/22/2016 03:28 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Should also include "don't merge", "no need to merge",
> etc. (Unless you think you can get Emacs developers to follow a
> convention, which history suggests is unlikely.)
I added "no need to merge".  As "don't merge" is typically a false alarm
(of its six occurrences in the emacs-25 log, five are false alarms), I
left it out. Let's try to stick with "do not merge" or "no need to
merge" in future commit messages of this type.

> This pattern needs to
> err on the side of false positives rather than false negatives

Unfortunately it's not that simple. As we've seen, applied false
positives cause patches to be lost, an error that is unlikely to be
caught when others review the merge, and some of these errors lurked in
'master' for over two months. In contrast, applied false negatives cause
wrong patches to be added, which is much more likely to be caught right
away on review. So although it makes sense for other reasons to err on
the side of false negatives, our thumbs shouldn't press too hard on the
scale.