From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master 82ccc3a: ; Mention the previous change in NEWS
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 03:48:46 +0300	[thread overview]

On 07.06.2021 19:55, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I think it would be better to say something like
>
>    *** Commands that use 'grep-find' now follow symlinks by default.

Not exactly: going by the option's description in the manual, it follows
symlinks for all arguments passed from the command line, but won't do
that for any of the directories inside the searched directory that are
also symlinks.

>    This affects the following commends: 'rgrep', ...
>
> This describes the change in terms of user commands, but can you help
> me comping up with the list of affected commands?

I don't think there's any visible change in behavior because of that
change. It mostly mirrored the one in 2e55201b8085 for better/uniform
approach to the problem.

The latter change fixed ignore entries not being applied by the default
implementation of project-files with certain old versions of 'find'.

rgrep, which also has some ignores to handle, uses "." as the DIR
argument, so it should see no change.

xref-matches-in-directory has no known callers anymore, but any
third-party code should see the IGNORES honored better with those old
versions of 'find'.

semantic/symref/grep.el doesn't use the "exclusions" argument.

And as for following the symlinks, the existing users of
grep-find-template, which were changed, previously used a different
approach: having DIR end with '/' (hence the file-name-as-directory
calls which were replaced with directory-file-name calls).