* Hello All!
@ 2015-11-18 14:40 Joakim Jalap
From: Joakim Jalap @ 2015-11-18 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I just mailed my copyright assignment papers, so I thought I would drop
by and introduce myself. I've been reading this list now for a few
months, but I haven't dared to post anything. But now I want to start
giving back to the Emacs community and I hope I can contribute at least
something of value.

Anyway, a little about me; I'm a 27 year old programmer from Sweden.
Currently I work in the embedded field. I've been using Emacs since 2007
when my first programming course started with the words "open a file in
Emacs". Now I spend about 85% of my time at the computer in Emacs,
programming, mail, IRC, music... basically everything I can.

What I'd like most in a future Emacs is concurrency and better IDE
features (incidentally the same things our dear maintainer seems to want
:)). I would like to work on the C core someday when I grow up, on
things like threading, GC and such. But the code isn't super easy to
grok, so I'll probably need some hand holding at first :). Right now
I've started looking at the concurrency branch, to see if I can wrap my
head around it.

BTW, I hang out on #emacs on freenode during the days. I nick either
jalle or jockej.

Anyway, I hope nobody minds a noob like myself jumping on board the
mighty Emacs steamer!

Happy hacking :)

Joakim

* RE: Hello All!
@ 2015-11-18 15:12 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-11-18 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap, emacs-devel

> I just mailed my copyright assignment papers... now I want to start
> giving back to the Emacs community and I hope I can contribute at
> least something of value.

Welcome.

> I've been using Emacs since 2007 when my first programming course
> started with the words "open a file in Emacs".

Sounds like the beginning of a great novel...

> What I'd like most in a future Emacs is concurrency and better IDE
> features... I would like to work on the C core... I've started
> looking at the concurrency branch...

Excellent.

> ...the mighty Emacs steamer!

Sounds like the end of a great novel.

* Re: Hello All!
@ 2015-11-18 16:47 ` Zack Piper
From: Zack Piper @ 2015-11-18 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 15:40:22 +0100,
Joakim Jalap wrote:

> Hi,

Hi.

> I just mailed my copyright assignment papers, so I thought I would drop
> by and introduce myself.

Always nice to see a new face (well, this is a mailing list but you
get what I mean. :-))

> I've been reading this list now for a few
> months, but I haven't dared to post anything.

Hehe, don't worry! We don't bite! :-)

> But now I want to start
> giving back to the Emacs community and I hope I can contribute at least
> something of value.

Any contribution is a good contribution.

> What I'd like most in a future Emacs is concurrency and better IDE
> features (incidentally the same things our dear maintainer seems to want
> :)). I would like to work on the C core someday when I grow up, on
> things like threading, GC and such. But the code isn't super easy to
> grok, so I'll probably need some hand holding at first :). Right now
> I've started looking at the concurrency branch, to see if I can wrap my
> head around it.

Fantastic! This will be a great thing to have help with.

> need some hand holding

Unfortunately I can't help since I have little to no experience with C,
but have been meaning to learn it for a long time, but time
constraints have prevented me from doing so (GCSE exams...).

> BTW, I hang out on #emacs on freenode during the days. I nick either
> jalle or jockej.

Nice! I'll go say hello. :-D

> Anyway, I hope nobody minds a noob like myself jumping on board the
> mighty Emacs steamer!

All great things start small. :-)

> Happy hacking :)
>
> Joakim

* Re: Hello All!
@ 2015-11-19 13:21 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2015-11-19 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Jalap; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 18/11/2015 15:40 +0100, Joakim Jalap wrote:

> I would like to work on the C core someday when I grow up, on
> things like threading, GC and such. But the code isn't super easy to
> grok, so I'll probably need some hand holding at first :).

Maybe you'll find it pleasant to contribute some documentation on C core
when you get at it, in addition to what we have now.  That'd be great!
My plan also includes studying C part of Emacs which I've looked into
only for a few times by now.

Welcome!

Filipp