* "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers
@ 2005-01-05 13:56 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-01-05 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've recently overved very odd behavior which is kind of hard to pin
down, but basically:

I'll have a buffer with some random garbagey characters (say a comint
buffer in which I've done "cat" on some spam containing binary
characters).  Usually this is displayed as a mixture of decoded
characters and octal-escaped (by the display engine) 8-bit characters.
 The octal-escaped characters _don't_ seem to use the new
highlighting.

While the buffer is just sitting there (maybe I'm doing something
else), suddenly the display will flip to showing _all_ non-ascii
characters as octal-escaped (by the display engine) characters, only
this time they're highlighted in a shade of blue, which I assume is
the new  highlighting stuff.

The display will start flipping back and forth between these two
representations rapidly (many times per second), though I'm not
actually doing anything; I think there's another comint buffer,
undisplayed in any window, that's receiving output though.  The only
way I can stop this is to change to another buffer.

It's not consistent though, sometimes it will do this, often it won't.

I've also had a lot of problems recently with the window-start
apparently getting reset randomly while scrolling.

In both cases, I haven't yet found a reliable way to reproduce the
behavior, but it's definitely happening!

Thanks,

-Miles

* Re: "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers
@ 2005-01-08 23:22 Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-01-08 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miles Bader wrote:

>While the buffer is just sitting there (maybe I'm doing something
>else), suddenly the display will flip to showing _all_ non-ascii
>characters as octal-escaped (by the display engine) characters, only
>this time they're highlighted in a shade of blue, which I assume is
>the new  highlighting stuff.
>
>The display will start flipping back and forth between these two
>representations rapidly (many times per second), though I'm not
>actually doing anything; I think there's another comint buffer,
>undisplayed in any window, that's receiving output though.  The only
>way I can stop this is to change to another buffer.

I've seen something similar.  When clicking on an error line in the
*compile* buffer, Emacs sometimes jumps to the wrong line.  Then if I
click on the same line again, it will jump to the correct line.  But
without me doing anything, the window begins switching between the two
positions (it may be the same file, or two different files), about once
a second.  I can sit there and watch or hit C-g, but it keeps
switching.  Only a kill buffer gets me out of it.

    Jan D.

* Re: "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers
@ 2005-01-09 23:52 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-01-09 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

      But
    without me doing anything, the window begins switching between the two
    positions (it may be the same file, or two different files), about once
    a second.  I can sit there and watch or hit C-g, but it keeps
    switching.

Can you try attaching with GDB to get some real information?

* Re: "escape sequence highlighting" going completely bonkers
@ 2005-01-10 18:29   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-01-10 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

2005-01-10 kl. 00.52 skrev Richard Stallman:

>       But
>     without me doing anything, the window begins switching between the
> two
>     positions (it may be the same file, or two different files), about
> once
>     a second.  I can sit there and watch or hit C-g, but it keeps
>     switching.
>
> Can you try attaching with GDB to get some real information?

It is not easy to reproduce, but I'm running Emacs in gdb now.

	Jan D.