Today, I've been finally able to create a repeatable test case for bug#870, "Missing ^J in ChangeLog". The bug manifests itself as one or more ^J chars missing when reading a text file. AFAIK, it has only happened with ChangeLogs, and just to a few Windows users (not unexpectedly, as we typically handle much more CRLF files than people on other systems). On my setup, the bug can be repeated at will by doing: emacs -Q --eval "(desktop-save-mode 1)" ChangeLog.870 C-x C-f y ; to save the desktop when asked emacs -Q --eval "(desktop-read)" C-s C-q C-M After that, the cursor will be over a ^M char, the remnant of a CRLF pair whose ^J has disappeared. If before restarting Emacs you edit .emacs.desktop and remove "(buffer-file-coding-system . utf-8-dos)" from the ChangeLog.870 entry, the bug does not happen. The missing ^J is exactly at position #x8000 of the ChangeLog.870 file. If you do remove a character from the file and repeat the test, the problem does not happen at position #x8000, but another instance of the same bug does happen at position #x38007. That seems to indicate some kind of trouble with a 32 KiB buffer. I'm attaching a bzipped copy of ChangeLog.870. Any help in debugging this bug (or even a patch fixing it ;-) will be much appreciated. Juanma