* Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
@ 2006-11-24 18:52 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-11-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

AFAICT pgp5 is not Free Software.  Should we remove the pgg-pgp5.el file
that handles pgg's support for pgp5?

* Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
@ 2006-11-24 19:56 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-11-24 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/24/06, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> AFAICT pgp5 is not Free Software.  Should we remove the pgg-pgp5.el file
> that handles pgg's support for pgp5?

progmodes/sql.el supports Oracle, for example. For what I gather from
previous discussions, I think it is acceptable if we're not offering
better support for the non-free program than for the free
alternatives.

Just my opinion,
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
@ 2006-11-25  2:24   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-11-25  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> AFAICT pgp5 is not Free Software.  Should we remove the pgg-pgp5.el file
>> that handles pgg's support for pgp5?

> progmodes/sql.el supports Oracle, for example. For what I gather from
> previous discussions, I think it is acceptable if we're not offering
> better support for the non-free program than for the free
> alternatives.

IIUC another concern is that supporting this non-free should be more
favorable to Emacs than to this non-free software.

In this particular case I believe that pgp5 is sufficiently rare, poorly
supported, and advantageously replaced by gpg (whether you care about your
own freedom or not), that I don't think Emacs has much to benefit from
supporting it.

* Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
@ 2006-11-25  6:58   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-25  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

    progmodes/sql.el supports Oracle, for example. For what I gather from
    previous discussions, I think it is acceptable if we're not offering
    better support for the non-free program than for the free
    alternatives.

Making Emacs work with non-free software is ok, when the main effect
is to encourage users of that non-free software to adopt Emacs.  When
the main effect is to encourage Emacs users to adopt that non-free
software, we should not do it.  In borderline cases we can go ahead
and do it.

* Re: Should we remove pgg-pgp5.el?
@ 2006-11-25  8:58     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-11-25  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juanma Barranquero, Daiki Ueno, emacs-devel

[ Cc-ing Daiki Ueno ]

On Sat, Nov 25 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> In this particular case I believe that pgp5 is sufficiently rare, poorly
> supported, and advantageously replaced by gpg (whether you care about your
> own freedom or not), that I don't think Emacs has much to benefit from
> supporting it.

1. `pgg-pgp5.el' might be required for people to read old encrypted
   mails, or does gpg provided full compatibility?  Would people have
   to switch to other (non-Emacs-based) MUAs for decrypting such
   mails?

2. IIUC, PGG will be obsoleted by Daiki Ueno's new implementation
   EasyPG (for GnuPG 1.4.3 and up), so I don't think we should remove
   `pgg-pgp5.el' at this point (before the release).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)