* Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-30  9:53 Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-10-30  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello

I get a build failure with current CVS-Head:

gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE   -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID  -I. -I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/
include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c
image.c: In function ‘gif_load’:
image.c:7874: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘Function’
make[2]: *** [image.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src'
make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

[inverness:~d/cvs/emacs]$ rpm -q giflib giflib-devel
giflib-4.1.3-7.2
giflib-devel-4.1.3-7.2

I don't have any strange gif_lib.h files lying around and the relevant
lines in /usr/include/gif_lib.h look ok to me:

/* This is the in-core version of an extension record */
typedef struct {
    int ByteCount;
    char *Bytes;    /* on malloc(3) heap */
    int Function;   /* Holds the type of the Extension block. */
} ExtensionBlock;

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-30 23:16 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-30 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Frank Schmitt <ich@frank-schmitt.net> writes:

> Hello
>
> I get a build failure with current CVS-Head:
>
> gcc -c -D_BSD_SOURCE -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_LUCID -I.
>   -I/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src -D_BSD_SOURCE -I/usr/X11R6/include
>   -I/usr/
> include/alsa -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign  image.c
> image.c: In function ‘gif_load’:
> image.c:7874: error: ‘struct <anonymous>’ has no member named ‘Function’
> make[2]: *** [image.o] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs/src'
> make[1]: *** [bootstrap-build] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/inverness/cvs/emacs'
> make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
>
> [inverness:~d/cvs/emacs]$ rpm -q giflib giflib-devel
> giflib-4.1.3-7.2
> giflib-devel-4.1.3-7.2
>
> I don't have any strange gif_lib.h files lying around and the
> relevant lines in /usr/include/gif_lib.h look ok to me

What configure options did you use?  Does an ordinary ./configure &&
make work?

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-30 23:24   ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2006-10-30 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> What configure options did you use?

./configure --prefix=/export/inverness/progs

> Does an ordinary ./configure && make work?

No.

BTW: This is the report from configure:

Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /export/inverness/cvs/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11R6/include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/lib
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   yes

--

@ 2006-10-30 23:49   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-10-30 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > > I don't have any strange gif_lib.h files lying around and the
 > > relevant lines in /usr/include/gif_lib.h look ok to me
 >
 > What configure options did you use?  Does an ordinary ./configure &&
 > make work?

Working out why a build fails for someone else's system is way over my head
but the tarball currently seems to be a pre-pretest.  If we made the next
one a pretest i.e announced it on other mailing lists/websites, isn't it
more likely that fixes will be posted for these failures?

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31  0:26     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-31  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz> writes:

>  > > I don't have any strange gif_lib.h files lying around and the
>  > > relevant lines in /usr/include/gif_lib.h look ok to me
>  >
>  > What configure options did you use?  Does an ordinary ./configure &&
>  > make work?
>
> Working out why a build fails for someone else's system is way over my head
> but the tarball currently seems to be a pre-pretest.  If we made the next
> one a pretest i.e announced it on other mailing lists/websites, isn't it
> more likely that fixes will be posted for these failures?

True.  The most glaring building/distribution bugs have been ironed
out, so unless something else comes up, I'll roll a 22.0.91 tarball
tomorrow and we can make the pretest announcement.

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31  4:25       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-10-31  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nickrob, emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:26:32 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> True.  The most glaring building/distribution bugs have been ironed
> out, so unless something else comes up, I'll roll a 22.0.91 tarball
> tomorrow and we can make the pretest announcement.

Please wait until I fix a few problems with the Windows build.  I was
too swamped these past few days to find time to fix them, but I hope
to find some time soon.

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31  9:29       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-10-31  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 10/31/06, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> True.  The most glaring building/distribution bugs have been ironed
> out, so unless something else comes up, I'll roll a 22.0.91 tarball
> tomorrow and we can make the pretest announcement.

Please, wait a few days. I just checked the emasclient code (and a fix
by a pretester); I'd much prefer for the people in the list to check
it and squash out the most glaring problems before getting it into a
public pretest release.

And, after all, we've been years waiting for the pretest. I don't
think a few days will make much difference.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31 15:25         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-31 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juanma Barranquero, nickrob, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> True.  The most glaring building/distribution bugs have been ironed
>> out, so unless something else comes up, I'll roll a 22.0.91 tarball
>> tomorrow and we can make the pretest announcement.
>
> Please wait until I fix a few problems with the Windows build.  I was
> too swamped these past few days to find time to fix them, but I hope
> to find some time soon.

Okay, let's give it about a week (or until the "Mac can't compile" bug
reports get annoying ;-)

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31 22:15         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-10-31 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:29:52 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> And, after all, we've been years waiting for the pretest. I don't
> think a few days will make much difference.

FWIW, I don't see any reasons to hurry with another pretest.  AFAIR,
we didn't yet hear from enough pretesters to have a clear idea of how
many bugs are there, especially on unusual platforms.

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-10-31 23:06           ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-10-31 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Juanma Barranquero, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:29:52 +0100
>> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> And, after all, we've been years waiting for the pretest. I don't
>> think a few days will make much difference.
>
> FWIW, I don't see any reasons to hurry with another pretest.  AFAIR,
> we didn't yet hear from enough pretesters to have a clear idea of how
> many bugs are there, especially on unusual platforms.

For one thing, Richard hasn't sent out his announcement to the
emacs-pretesters list.  I suggested to him to hold off making the
announcement: since 22.0.90 contains some obvious bugs that prevent
compilation on Windows, Mac, and OpenBSD, I think it's better to put
out a 22.0.91 tarball fixing this problems, so that testers won't
waste time reporting trivial "Emacs can't compile" bugs that are fixed
in CVS.

Do you disagree?

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-11-01  4:17             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-01  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lekktu, emacs-devel

> Cc: "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:06:15 -0500
>
> For one thing, Richard hasn't sent out his announcement to the
> emacs-pretesters list.  I suggested to him to hold off making the
> announcement: since 22.0.90 contains some obvious bugs that prevent
> compilation on Windows, Mac, and OpenBSD, I think it's better to put
> out a 22.0.91 tarball fixing this problems, so that testers won't
> waste time reporting trivial "Emacs can't compile" bugs that are fixed
> in CVS.

There's no need to postpone the announcement, IMHO: we could send the
pretesters the patches for fixing the bugs.  That is one of the uses
of the emacs-pretesters mailing list.

However, I'm not sure Richard has finished updating the
emacs-pretesters list, based on mail he sent to each person on that
list.

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-11-02  4:42               ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lekktu, cyd, emacs-devel

I am still updating the list, and I would rather announce the next
pretest instead of this one.  However, we need to clear up the
emacsclient problems first, and a couple of other problems too.

* Re: Build failure under Suse 10.0
@ 2006-11-04 13:20         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-11-04 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 06:25:02 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: nickrob@snap.net.nz, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> > Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:26:32 -0500
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > True.  The most glaring building/distribution bugs have been ironed
> > out, so unless something else comes up, I'll roll a 22.0.91 tarball
> > tomorrow and we can make the pretest announcement.
>
> Please wait until I fix a few problems with the Windows build.

These problems are now fixed.