Updated patch; mainly changes in emacsclient.c: - Now --server-file=xxx (or EMACS_SERVER_FILE=xxx) tries to open: - "xxx" (as an absolute or relative path) - "%HOME%/.emacs.d/server/xxx" - "%APPDATA%/.emacs.d/server/xxx" (on Windows) - With no --server-file, it tries to open a local socket. - If no --server-file and no local sockets, acts like "--server-file=server" (which is the same default that server.el uses). Some more unresolved questions: - Ideas about making server.el bring the frame to the front? Also, making it compatible with pop-up-frames = t (requested by Drew). - In GNU/Linux, is the above search sequence the right one, or should it use getpwnam (...)->pw_dir to locate the user home directory? (Note: I'm beating this into shape with the idea of installing it in the next few days; I sure hope the pretest is not a problem...) /L/e/k/t/u