* emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?
@ 2005-10-04  1:12 Jens Petersen
From: Jens Petersen @ 2005-10-04  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone have an emacsclient wrapper script or program which
can reliably launch emacs with server-start if none is running?

Jens

ps (I noticed an experimental "emacsclient-plus" script  in the debian emacs
package diff a while back, but it didn't quite seem to work yet for me out
of the box.)

* Re: emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?
@ 2005-10-04  1:33 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-10-04  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jens Petersen <petersen@redhat.com> writes:

> Does anyone have an emacsclient wrapper script or program which
> can reliably launch emacs with server-start if none is running?

>From the Emacs manual:

   The option `--alternate-editor=COMMAND' is useful when running
`emacsclient' in a script.  It specifies a command to run if
`emacsclient' fails to contact Emacs.  For example, the following
setting for the EDITOR environment variable will always give you an
editor, even if no Emacs server is running:

     EDITOR="emacsclient --alternate-editor emacs +%d %s"

* Re: emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?
@ 2005-10-04  7:12 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-10-04  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jens Petersen wrote:

>Does anyone have an emacsclient wrapper script or program which
>can reliably launch emacs with server-start if none is running?
>
>Jens
>
>ps (I noticed an experimental "emacsclient-plus" script  in the debian emacs
>package diff a while back, but it didn't quite seem to work yet for me out
>of the box.)

I have such a script, but it is for gnuclient since emacsclient does not
work (yet?) on w32. However it consists of changes to both gnuclient.exe
self and a new script gnuservauto.el.

You can find it all if you download the zip file called something like
EmacsW32-0.95.zip from http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/. It is
under the setup\bin folder in the zip file. (The source is also there.)

However this only works on w32. You can only get ideas there. I have
added a new option "emacsclient -s" that starts gnuserv automatically.
With the setup used by EmacsW32 you do not have to start gnuserv in
.emacs, it is started automatically if -s is used. (An additional
advantage of this is that you can start emacs.exe and have the same
setup as usual, but run the extra emacs.exe without gnuserv.)

Hope this can be of some help. I would like to port this feature to
emacsclient as soon as emacsclient works on w32.

* Re: emacsclient wrapper to launch emacs server if none running?
@ 2005-10-05 11:32   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-10-05 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 10/4/05, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> I would like to port this feature to
> emacsclient as soon as emacsclient works on w32.

Which will take a while, as I'm trying to reimplement the jpeg stuff
so it can be accepted without legal hassles, and simultaneously I'm
moving back to Barcelona (which adds negative time to my Emacs
schedule ;-)

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u