David Kastrup wrote: > I've checked it out, compiled it, not yet used it. README.multi-tty > does not yet reflect the availability on Savannah. I updated it a little. > Is the GTK+ situation as described in there? No, it has much improved. AFAIK GTK still doesn't fully support multiple displays, but the remaining bugs are mostly memory leaks, not crashes. > One thing that is mentioned that calling emacsclient from a different > user will not work. I think that this is really a non-issue since > file accessibility from a different user would also be different and > there is no really useful strategy short of using tramp for getting > this to work. I agree with your reasoning but the item is about something slightly different: Login: fred Password: fred$ emacs M-x server-start Meanwhile, in another session: Login: barney Password: barney$ su fred Password: fred$ emacsclient -t (Fails due to Emacs not being able to open the tty device.) The use case: fred sits down before barney's console to show him something under his own account. > emacsclient operation in multitty is different as compared to > previously. So people can't avoid multitty completely, meaning that > we can't bluntly state "situation can't be worse than previously, no > regression" but need to evaluate multitty somewhat more closely before > finding it suited for trunk, even if the compilation problems on > DOS/Windows/Mac have been tackled. Hold your horses. There is always "emacsclient --current-frame" to prevent emacsclient from creating a new terminal. This retains much of the functionality of the original emacsclient, including, I believe, things like C-#, and does not use multi-tty features. I hope most people would agree that the new emacsclient features are a definite improvement. > The precondition for trunk in my opinion would be that it does not > impede workability for those people who are working on different parts > of Emacs. Keep in mind that improving emacsclient behaviour is one of the primary results of the multi-tty branch. -- Karoly