* annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  6:58 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-01-31  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In the gnus *Article* buffer, Date: headers are now displayed like this:

   Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 21:03:46 -0000 (9 hours, 50 minutes, 59 seconds ago)

... where the "(9 hours ... seconds ago)" bit is dynamically updated,
with the seconds counting down as I watch.

While very cute, this is also annoying.

Anyone know how to turn off the "seconds" part?  I'd be perfectly fine
with only know the relative time to within a minute, and that would make
the dynamic updates not annoying.

Indeed, I'd suggest making minute-precision the default with this feature.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Bore, n. A person who talks when you wish him to listen.

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  7:42 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-01-31  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Miles,

,----[ C-h v gnus-article-update-date-headers RET ]
| gnus-article-update-date-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
| Its value is 1
|
| Documentation:
| How often to update the date header.
| If nil, don't update it at all.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  7:56   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-01-31  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> | gnus-article-update-date-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.

Thanks!

Now, about the default...

-miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  8:05   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2011-01-31  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> | gnus-article-update-date-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
> | Its value is 1

Hmm, oddly, "C-h v" doesn't seem to recognize that variable for me...

and "M-: gnus-article-update-date-headers RET"
=> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable gnus-article-update-date-headers)

... and looking at `gnus-start-date-timer' in gnus-art.el, the repeat
interval seems to be hardwired...

Did you just change it in the last few minutes...?

Thanks,

-Miles

--
We are all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
-Oscar Wilde

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  8:54     ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2011-01-31  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miles; +Cc: tassilo, emacs-devel

[Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> (2011-01-31 08:05:59 UTC)]

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
> > | gnus-article-update-date-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
> > | Its value is 1
>
> Hmm, oddly, "C-h v" doesn't seem to recognize that variable for me...

It appears to be called gnus-article-update-lapsed-header on my
emacs (compiled from trunk on Saturday). Also, it appears that gnus
reads the value of the variable only on startup. Changing it has no
effect until gnus is quit and restarted.

- Harald

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  9:02 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-01-31  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

There is a Gnus development list

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general

where things like this are discussed.

* Re: annoying gnus time updating
@ 2011-01-31  9:33     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-01-31  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Miles,

>> | gnus-article-update-date-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
>> | Its value is 1
>
> Hmm, oddly, "C-h v" doesn't seem to recognize that variable for me...

I'm using the git version of Gnus.  Maybe, that variable has been
introduced very recently because other's also complained, but the
changes didn't hit the emacs repository till now.

Bye,
Tassilo