From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
To: rms@gnu.org
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Relicensing the Emacs repository
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 04:43:27 -0400	[thread overview]

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I am looking for volunteers to relicense branches of Emacs to GPL
> version 3 or later. Would people please volunteer to do at least one
> branch?

I believe I have done the release branch (it was great fun).

Comments and questions:

1. Some files that are in CVS are not really part of Emacs. All the
   following are copyright FSF and GPL >= v2. I left them alone:

These look like parts of glibc, mainly:
rc/getloadavg.c
src/gmalloc.c
src/md5.c  ? "part of emacs?"
src/md5.h
src/mktime.c
src/regex.c ? part of emacs?
src/regex.h
src/strftime.c
src/termcap.c  ? part of emacs?
src/tparam.c   ? part of emacs?
oldXMenu/insque.c

config.guess
config.sub
lispintro/missing
man/texinfo.tex

2. I updated the files that are joint copyright FSF and AIST, or
   copyright AIST alone (eg lisp/composite.el). These are all marked
   as part of Emacs. This includes files in leim, leim/quail, lisp,
   lisp/language, lisp/international, src.

3. I also updated the oldxmenu files that have FSF copyright.

4. I also updated msdos/is_exec.c and sigaction.c, since DJ Delorie
   said we could do as we wished.

5. lwlib/ - I left alone.
   Files originally in Lucid Widget Library remain under GPL v1 or
   later, or v2 or later.

6. These contain non-standard licenses compared to the other refcards:
   These two seem fine:
   etc/gnus-refcard.tex
   etc/ru-refcard.tex

   These two seem confusing to me:
   etc/vipcard.tex
   etc/viperCard.tex
   They contain simple licenses which seem fine, but also refer to the
   "GNU Emacs GPL". I suggest just changing these two to the standard
   Emacs license text.

7. There are some files where the FSF holds no copyright. I left these
   alone:

leim/MISC-DIC/CTLau-b5.html  >= v2
leim/MISC-DIC/CTLau.html     >= v2
  (above included in lisp/international/titdic-cnv.el)
leim/MISC-DIC/pinyin.map     >= v1
leim/MISC-DIC/ziranma.cin    >= v1
leim/SKK-DIC/SKK-JISYO.L     >= v2
leim/SKK-DIC/README          >= v2
leim/ja-dic/ja-dic.el        >= v2

8. Some non-Emacs icons remain under GPLv2 (no "or later"). See:
etc/images/gnus/README
etc/images/mail/README
etc/images/README
nt/icons/README