* Haskell Mode?
@ 2008-08-28  8:33 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-08-28  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi, Emacs!

There is a Haskell Mode in existence, which seems to have been written
by a fine upstanding member of the free software community.

It isn't part of Emacs, making it a mild hassle to download and load and
use.

Is there any reason why this mode isn't part of Emacs, and could it
become part of Emacs?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Haskell Mode?
@ 2008-08-28  9:22 ` David House
From: David House @ 2008-08-28  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

2008/8/28 Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>:
> Is there any reason why this mode isn't part of Emacs, and could it
> become part of Emacs?

I believe Stefan is the maintainer, he might have more information on this.

FWIW, `haskell-mode' is the only Haskell major mode I know of, and it
works pretty well.

How does assigning copyright work? Do all previous contributors have
to sign papers? There have been quite a few, IIRC.

--
-David

* Re: Haskell Mode?
@ 2008-08-28 16:01 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-08-28 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Mackenzie; +Cc: emacs-devel

> There is a Haskell Mode in existence, which seems to have been written
> by a fine upstanding member of the free software community.
> It isn't part of Emacs, making it a mild hassle to download and load and
> use.
> Is there any reason why this mode isn't part of Emacs, and could it
> become part of Emacs?

The only reason why it's not part of Emacs, AFAIK is that I haven't had
the energy/time to track down the contributors and get the relevant
papers signed.  If someone wants to help me do that, I'd be
very grateful.

        Stefan

PS: The same holds for SML, by the way, except that I did try to track
people down for that one at some point.