* chinese character displayed as hollow box in Emacs 22.1.90
@ 2008-01-31 16:11 Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2008-01-31 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Something must be changed since the release of emacs 22.1, now Emacs
22.1.90 can't find a font to display chinese characters on windows xp,
as with the chinese character "中", C-u C-x = gives:
  character: 中 (43856, #o125520, #xab50, U+4E2D)
    charset: chinese-gb2312 (GB2312 Chinese simplified: ISO-IR-58.)
 code point: #x56 #x50
     syntax: w 	which means: word
   category: C:Chinese (Han) characters of 2-byte character sets c:Chinese
	     |:While filling, we can break a line at this character.
buffer code: #x91 #xD6 #xD0
  file code: #xD6 #xD0 (encoded by coding system chinese-iso-8bit)
    display: no font available

[back]

 GNU Emacs 22.1.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-01-31 on BREPNB
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: chs
  locale-coding-system: cp936
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

* Re: chinese character displayed as hollow box in Emacs 22.1.90
@ 2008-01-31 16:41 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-01-31 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Wei; +Cc: emacs-devel

Zhang Wei wrote:
> Something must be changed since the release of emacs 22.1, now Emacs
> 22.1.90 can't find a font to display chinese characters on windows xp,
> as with the chinese character "中", C-u C-x = gives:

Does this happen if you start emacs as "emacs -Q"?

The following change may have had an effect if you explicitly specify
fontsets in your .emacs, since the charset part of font names may have
changed slightly. I'll review the change and revert any changes that are
not backwards compatible and are not strictly necessary to fix the
default fontset case.

2007-11-10 Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>

* w32-fns.el: Sync charset names with setup-default-fontset.
Append "-1" where second part missing.

* term/w32-win.el: Enable SJIS fonts before creating any fontsets.

* Re: chinese character displayed as hollow box in Emacs 22.1.90
@ 2008-01-31 17:02   ` Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2008-01-31 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney, emacs-devel

> Does this happen if you start emacs as "emacs -Q"?

Yes, it happens with "emacs -Q".

@ 2008-02-01  0:28     ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-02-01  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang Wei; +Cc: emacs-devel

Zhang Wei wrote:
> Yes, it happens with "emacs -Q".

I've partially reverted the change below. It results in incomplete
Chinese, Korean and Thai font specs being returned from w32-select-font
and x-list-fonts, but that doesn't seem to cause any real problem, I
just noticed the bogus names when fixing another font problem that was
part of the same change. There appears to be a bug in the font matching
code in w32fns.c, but since that will change substantially in Emacs 23
and things work when the specs are missing the last field, I'll leave it
as is.

@ 2008-02-01  2:53       ` Zhang Wei
From: Zhang Wei @ 2008-02-01  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney, emacs-devel

On 2/1/08, Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:
> I've partially reverted the change below. It results in incomplete
> Chinese, Korean and Thai font specs being returned from w32-select-font
> and x-list-fonts, but that doesn't seem to cause any real problem, I
> just noticed the bogus names when fixing another font problem that was
> part of the same change. There appears to be a bug in the font matching
> code in w32fns.c, but since that will change substantially in Emacs 23
> and things work when the specs are missing the last field, I'll leave it
> as is.
>

> >> 2007-11-10 Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
> >>
> >> * w32-fns.el: Sync charset names with setup-default-fontset.
> >> Append "-1" where second part missin

The bug has been fixed, thanks.