On 08.04.2021 22:46, Drew Adams wrote: >> Another approach would be to add a new "extra property" >> or metadata element which will say "don't remove duplicates". > > I mentioned variable `icicle-transform-function', whose > most common values are `icicle-remove-duplicates' and > nil (which means don't remove dups). > > (Like such a variable, completion metadata is an > aggregate operation: it applies to a set of completions, > not to just this or that completion.) > > `icicle-transform-function' is applied to all candidates, > and it can do anything. A general completion table does specify any `icicle-transform-function`, and it wouldn't know how. Some standard, cross-frontend approach would be required. >> I do think it's questionable, though, to include >> completions that are hard to distinguish. > > Don't confuse looking different in *Completions*, at the > outset and always, with easy to distinguish. There are > other ways to make them appear different - from mode-line > to ephemeral appearance changes in *Completions*. There > is more than one way to skin this cat. Ephemeral appearance changes could be good enough. Or icons, like on the attached video.