* rendering on gnu/linux
@ 2008-11-17 15:58 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-11-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi,
 I just moved from Windoze to GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 8.10), built emacs
from HEAD with default options. When I open a file, I notice some
lines not rendered. When I scroll up and down, I see the contents. I
have tried the same with vanilla emacs and with my customizations,
they happen in both cases.
 I must say that Emacs fonts on GNU/Linux is beautiful (gtk)!

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: rendering on gnu/linux
@ 2008-11-17 16:15 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-11-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

A simple way to reproduce:
1. Run vanilla emacs in window mode on GNU/Linux
2. Open some 'C' file with font-lock enabled
3. Keep pressing C-l repeatedly, you will see lines appearing and
disappearing randomly.

-dhruva

@ 2008-11-17 17:53   ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-11-17 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

dhruva> A simple way to reproduce: 1. Run vanilla emacs in window mode
dhruva> on GNU/Linux 2. Open some 'C' file with font-lock enabled 3.
dhruva> Keep pressing C-l repeatedly, you will see lines appearing and
dhruva> disappearing randomly.

unable to reproduce on my box. Maybe related to your experience, I can
see that since emacs 23 the screen is flickering a lot whenever lines
move, but they are alway properly drawn at the end. Do anybody else see
this also ?

Test box : fairly standard ubuntu, with a radeon and default free
drivers.

X.Org X Server 1.5.2
Release Date: 10 October 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

--
  Paul

* Re: rendering on gnu/linux
@ 2008-11-17 18:43   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-11-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: Emacs Devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

> A simple way to reproduce:
> 1. Run vanilla emacs in window mode on GNU/Linux
> 2. Open some 'C' file with font-lock enabled
> 3. Keep pressing C-l repeatedly, you will see lines appearing and
> disappearing randomly.

C-l is now bound to recenter-top-bottom instead of recenter.  Maybe this
is what you're seeing?

* Re: rendering on gnu/linux
@ 2008-11-18  2:44     ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-11-18  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> A simple way to reproduce:
>> 1. Run vanilla emacs in window mode on GNU/Linux
>> 2. Open some 'C' file with font-lock enabled
>> 3. Keep pressing C-l repeatedly, you will see lines appearing and
>> disappearing randomly.
>
> C-l is now bound to recenter-top-bottom instead of recenter.  Maybe this
> is what you're seeing?

I am aware of the recenter functionality, the recenter happens and in
the redisplay, I see some lines or partial lines missing. When I
scroll a screen full which I presume will trigger a redisplay, it gets
redrawn properly to show the complete contents.

I am using Nvdia driver, IBM Thinkpad 61 series with display on an
external lenovo flat LCD monitor. The rest being Ubuntu 8.10 pristine
installation.

-dhruva

--

@ 2008-11-18  3:05       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-11-18  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs Devel

The same problem happens on Emacs22 that I installed from Ubuntu
package too. So, this is not something recent. I will try disabling
Nvdia driver FWIW and test again.

-dhruva

@ 2008-11-18  3:54         ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-11-18  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:35 AM, dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> wrote:
> The same problem happens on Emacs22 that I installed from Ubuntu
> package too. So, this is not something recent. I will try disabling
> Nvdia driver FWIW and test again.

The problem was with Nvidia driver #177 which is prompted in Ubuntu
with enough warnings. Once I removed, it just works fine!
 Maybe, it could be documented somewhere so that some other user does
not stumble on this issue. Since I knew a bit of emacs and could
realize that it was a display problem. At first, it appeared as if
some data was lost in the file, that can be scary.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!