* Shift selection in remote tty
@ 2008-04-07  1:58 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-04-07  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,
 Currently, I am using emacs and multi-tty a lot more than I had ever
imagined. I love the speed and the low resource usage for my remote
connections.
I never managed to get shift selection working (loadkeys does not work
asI have a remote terminal connection using Putty). I am hoping
someone on this list has a hack to make it work.
TIA
-dhruva

Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Shift selection in remote tty
@ 2008-04-07 23:40 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-04-07 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,
So, I presume the shift selection problem cannot be solved on remote
multiple tty sessions of emacs... Can ctrl be bound instead of shift
so that ctrl-arrow can do the selection?

-dhruva

@ 2008-04-07 23:45   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-04-07 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhruva; +Cc: emacs-devel

dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:

  > Hello,
  > So, I presume the shift selection problem cannot be solved on remote
  > multiple tty sessions of emacs...

That is not true.  It works just fine with xterm.  You have a problem
with putty that does not send different key codes for keys and
shifted keys.  There's nothing emacs can do about that. Putty needs
fixing...

@ 2008-04-08 10:10     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2008-04-08 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:

> dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:
>
>   > Hello,
>   > So, I presume the shift selection problem cannot be solved on remote
>   > multiple tty sessions of emacs...

> That is not true.  It works just fine with xterm.  You have a problem
> with putty that does not send different key codes for keys and
> shifted keys.  There's nothing emacs can do about that. Putty needs
> fixing...

I made a patch for this a couple of years ago. It was never accepted
into putty, but the patch is available still from Emacswiki I think.

>   > Can ctrl be bound instead of shift
>   > so that ctrl-arrow can do the selection?
>   > -dhruva
>   >
>   > On 4/7/08, dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> wrote:
>   > > Hello,
>   > >  Currently, I am using emacs and multi-tty a lot more than I had ever
>   > > imagined. I love the speed and the low resource usage for my remote
>   > > connections.
>   > > I never managed to get shift selection working (loadkeys does not work
>   > > asI have a remote terminal connection using Putty). I am hoping
>   > > someone on this list has a hack to make it work.
>   > > TIA
>   > > -dhruva
>   > >
>   > > --
>   > > Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com
>   > >
>   > > Contents reflect my personal views only!
>   > >
>   >
>   > --
>   > Sent from Gmail for mobile | mobile.google.com
>   >
>   > Contents reflect my personal views only!

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Shift selection in remote tty
@ 2008-04-08 14:11       ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2008-04-08 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:40 PM,  <joakim@verona.se> wrote:
> Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> writes:
>
>  > dhruva <dhruvakm@gmail.com> writes:
>  >
>  >   > Hello,
>  >   > So, I presume the shift selection problem cannot be solved on remote
>  >   > multiple tty sessions of emacs...
>
>  >
>  > That is not true.  It works just fine with xterm.  You have a problem
>  > with putty that does not send different key codes for keys and
>  > shifted keys.  There's nothing emacs can do about that. Putty needs
>  > fixing...
>
>  I made a patch for this a couple of years ago. It was never accepted
>  into putty, but the patch is available still from Emacswiki I think.

Thank you for the information.The link to the patch is invalid. I will
try if I can figure out a way t make it work for me! Is there some
other terminal emulator that I can use on Windoze to connect to
GNU/Linux and run emacs in multi-tty.

-dhruva

--
Contents reflect my personal views only!