* C++ class members completion
@ 2007-10-31  7:58 ring0
From: ring0 @ 2007-10-31  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

Is there a reliable module (.el or with recompilation in C++ mode or new one)
allowing Emacs to

- read include files on-the-fly and record classes structure
- parse the code and record objects declarations
- after typing an object (instance of a class) and `.' (or `->' if it can
deduce it is a pointer) and, say, [C-TAB] would suggest the members of the
class (completion)
- perform other operations, like showing class declaration in another window
etc...

This would be so helpful!

Thanks

   Yves

* Re: C++ class members completion
@ 2007-10-31 10:05 ` dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-10-31 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ring0; +Cc: Emacs-devel

Hi,

On 10/31/07, ring0 <itadak@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a reliable module (.el or with recompilation in C++ mode or new one)
> allowing Emacs to
>
> - read include files on-the-fly and record classes structure
> - parse the code and record objects declarations
> - after typing an object (instance of a class) and `.' (or `->' if it can
> deduce it is a pointer) and, say, [C-TAB] would suggest the members of the
> class (completion)
> - perform other operations, like showing class declaration in another window
> etc...

 You could try CEDET (http://cedet.sourceforge.net/)

-dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: C++ class members completion
@ 2007-10-31 19:52 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-10-31 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ring0; +Cc: Emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
> From: ring0 <itadak@gmail.com>
>

> Is there a reliable module (.el or with recompilation in C++ mode or new one)
> allowing Emacs to
>
> - read include files on-the-fly and record classes structure
> - parse the code and record objects declarations
> - after typing an object (instance of a class) and `.' (or `->' if it can
> deduce it is a pointer) and, say, [C-TAB] would suggest the members of the
> class (completion)
> - perform other operations, like showing class declaration in another window
> etc...

Try the Ebrowse package (bundled with Emacs).  It is documented in its
own manual, in case you would like to read about it first.

* Re: C++ class members completion
@ 2007-10-31 20:33   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-10-31 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Emacs-devel, ring0

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: ring0 <itadak@gmail.com>
>>

>> Is there a reliable module (.el or with recompilation in C++ mode or new one)
>> allowing Emacs to
>>
>> - read include files on-the-fly and record classes structure
>> - parse the code and record objects declarations
>> - after typing an object (instance of a class) and `.' (or `->' if it can
>> deduce it is a pointer) and, say, [C-TAB] would suggest the members of the
>> class (completion)
>> - perform other operations, like showing class declaration in another window
>> etc...
>
> Try the Ebrowse package (bundled with Emacs).  It is documented in its
> own manual, in case you would like to read about it first.

Maybe it would be good to complement the manuals with a list over known
tools of this kind for different languages? Or is there already one?

At the moment I wonder if there is such a tool in Emacs for PHP. I
vaugely remember some discussions, but I do not remember the result
right now.