* Minor suggestion for emacsclientw (MS windows specific)
@ 2007-01-18  4:31 dhruva
From: dhruva @ 2007-01-18  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
 When I associate file extensions to emacsclientw.exe and double click
on the file in the explorer, the command shell window pops up and
disappears (I have put a "-n" option in the registry to prevent the
waiting).
IMHO:
1. emacsclientw.exe should never wait (default is "-n")
2. The code should have WinMain() instead of main() as this will
eliminate the initial console window from popping up.

The code for implementing #2 is can be taken from emacs/nt/runemacs.c.
I just wanted to open this for discussion to get a better
understanding before trying to implement it.

with best regards,
dky

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!

* Re: Minor suggestion for emacsclientw (MS windows specific)
@ 2007-01-18  9:16 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-01-18  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

dhruva wrote:
> When I associate file extensions to emacsclientw.exe and double click
> on the file in the explorer, the command shell window pops up and
> disappears
What compiler are you using? There shouldn't be command shell window, as
we are using a compiler option to create a windowed application. But
maybe it does not work on all versions of gcc, or on msvc.

> IMHO:
> 1. emacsclientw.exe should never wait (default is "-n")

Waiting is required for many applications, and taking care of 2 will
eliminate the remaining reason why you might want emacsclient to
disappear immediately. So I don't think there is any good reason to make
this the default.

> 2. The code should have WinMain() instead of main() as this will
> eliminate the initial console window from popping up.

The compiler should take care of that. See above.

* Re: Minor suggestion for emacsclientw (MS windows specific)
@ 2007-01-18 14:53   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-01-18 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Jason Rumney wrote:
> dhruva wrote:
>> When I associate file extensions to emacsclientw.exe and double click
>> on the file in the explorer, the command shell window pops up and
>> disappears
> What compiler are you using? There shouldn't be command shell window, as
> we are using a compiler option to create a windowed application. But
> maybe it does not work on all versions of gcc, or on msvc.
>
>> IMHO:
>> 1. emacsclientw.exe should never wait (default is "-n")
>
> Waiting is required for many applications, and taking care of 2 will
> eliminate the remaining reason why you might want emacsclient to
> disappear immediately. So I don't think there is any good reason to make
> this the default.
>
>> 2. The code should have WinMain() instead of main() as this will
>> eliminate the initial console window from popping up.
>
> The compiler should take care of that. See above.

Please notice also that I have written a new version of emacsclient(w)
that does use a WinMain function but for a different purpose (feedback
to the user).

This version is available as part of the patched Emacs+EmacsW32
download, see http://ourcomments.org/cgi-bin/emacsw32-dl-latest.pl