* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
       [not found]       ` <e8rws2cu08u.fsf@FLM000025LVE9F.catmktg.com>
@ 2009-10-30 20:35         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-10-30 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs help, Emacs-Devel devel

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>>> Also, the OP could try:
>>>
>>>     emacs --debug-init file.txt
>>>
>>> If the file is not open it might be because there's a bug in ~/.emacs
>>

>> That I have tried.  No errors at all...  I was hoping that there would
>> be one, but everything loads just fine, no errors, just doesn't load the
>> file(s) named on the command line.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea, though.
>
> Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
> incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
> the functionality in it anyway...
>
> Dave

The file table.el is included in Emacs now.

This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
init files.)

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04  6:06           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-11-04  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>> Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
>> incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
>> the functionality in it anyway...
>
> The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
>
> This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
> from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
> Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
> potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
> init files.)

`list-load-path-shadows' is what you want.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04  9:45             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-04  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:

>>> Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
>>> incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
>>> the functionality in it anyway...
>>
>> The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
>>
>> This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
>> from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
>> Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
>> potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
>> init files.)
>
> `list-load-path-shadows' is what you want.

You mean something that checks this variable after default.el have
been loaded? Yes.

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04 14:53           ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-11-04 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs help, J. David Boyd, Emacs-Devel devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

  > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
  > > david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

  > >> That I have tried.  No errors at all...  I was hoping that there would
  > >> be one, but everything loads just fine, no errors, just doesn't load the
  > >> file(s) named on the command line.
  > >>
  > >> Thanks for the idea, though.
  > >
  > > Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
  > > incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
  > > the functionality in it anyway...
  > >
  > > Dave
  >

  > The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
  >
  > This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
  > from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
  > Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
  > potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
  > init files.)

See `bad-packages-alist'

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04 14:57             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-11-04 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs help, J. David Boyd, Emacs-Devel devel

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>  > > david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>  > >
>  > >> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>  > >>
>  > >>> Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:
>  > >>>
>  > >>>> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>  > >>>>
>  > >>>>> I could use some help troubleshooting this.
>  > >>>>>
>  > >>>>> When I start up emacs, it doesn't load the files I name on the command
>  > >>>>> line, unless I do an 'emacs -q' to not load any init files.
>  > >>>>>
>  > >>>>> Obviously, it must be something in my .emacs file, but I don't see
>  > >>>>> anything that I've changed in the recent past.
>  > >>>>>
>  > >>>>> Where should I start to debug this?  I don't get any errors when it
>  > >>>>> runs, it just refuses to load anything from the command line.
>  > >>>>
>  > >>>> At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried commenting out all of
>  > >>>> your .emacs, then progressively uncommenting it to isolate the lines
>  > >>>> that are causing the problem? comment-region (aka M-;) makes this
>  > >>>> pretty quick to do.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> Also, the OP could try:
>  > >>>
>  > >>>     emacs --debug-init file.txt
>  > >>>
>  > >>> If the file is not open it might be because there's a bug in ~/.emacs
>  > >>
>  > >>
>  > >> That I have tried.  No errors at all...  I was hoping that there would
>  > >> be one, but everything loads just fine, no errors, just doesn't load the
>  > >> file(s) named on the command line.
>  > >>
>  > >> Thanks for the idea, though.
>  > >
>  > > Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
>  > > incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
>  > > the functionality in it anyway...
>  > >
>  > > Dave
>  >
>  >
>  > The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
>  >
>  > This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
>  > from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
>  > Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
>  > potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
>  > init files.)
>
> See `bad-packages-alist'

Ah, thanks, forgot about it.

Should not table.el be in this list too then?
And nxml too?

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04 15:05               ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2009-11-04 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: emacs help, J. David Boyd, Emacs-Devel devel

> [...]

  > >  > > Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
  > >  > > incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
  > >  > > the functionality in it anyway...
  > >  > >
  > >  > > Dave
  > >  >
  > >  >
  > >  > The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
  > >  >
  > >  > This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
  > >  > from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
  > >  > Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
  > >  > potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
  > >  > init files.)
  > >
  > > See `bad-packages-alist'
  > >

  > Ah, thanks, forgot about it.
  >
  > Should not table.el be in this list too then?

If they cause problems, they should.

* Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
@ 2009-11-04 20:32             ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2009-11-04 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
>>> Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
>>> incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
>>> the functionality in it anyway...
>>
>> The file table.el is included in Emacs now.
>>
>> This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
>> from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
>> Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
>> potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
>> init files.)
>
> `list-load-path-shadows' is what you want.

Hey, that _is_ what I want!  Cool, thanks, that will help me clean up my
.emacs file immensely...