On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Scot Becker wrote: > Lennart, > > That was quick!   I think a library like that would do a lot, since > you could create custom customization buffers for all the purposes we > have discussed.  I like it.  Of course for a new user, the > customization buffer itself is quite 'busy', but that's not a problem > we can do anything about at the moment.  And the sooner they warm up > to it, probably the better for them, since it's one of the better > forms we have of interface discoverability at the moment. > > I tried adding new variables to customize, which seems to work. I > assume it's possible to add documentation by adding  it between the > commands.  And typical lisp logic to only present some options if > we're on a certain OS, or have a certain package loaded. > > This is really nice, Lennart.   I assume it's far too late to include > something like this in v. 23.1, but I could imagine various > 'customization groups' making it into a future version.  If I manage > to produce an Emacs 'customization package for writers.'  I will most > certainly use this (especially if line-move-visual gets set to nil!) > . > So aside from the ongoing need to pick good defaults, how well does > something like this address the discoverability issue?  What do the > rest of you think? Pointing out some important options is perhaps good. Also exporting "my important options/my skin options" is probably good. See the new version below (a working version). I guess it is not ready, but maybe a discussion point at least.