Hi have been playing a bit with some thoughts about making `while' look for input, sort of `while-no-input', but a bit more general. I took the c code and changed it a bit to see how it looked. The idea is that the user with some let bound variable can control how every call to `while' handles pending input. If pending input is detected then `while' will throw to a catch symbol that is let bound by the user. I do not know if this is useable (the code is not yet, need some fixes, I am not good at c). The drawback might be too much overhead. Also some code might leave things in a bad state if a throw happens in `while'. The advantage is of course that it could make Emacs feel more alive with back ground parsers and other jobs in the background that did not care to call input-pending-p. I have attached the code. Any thoughts?