* Emacs-w32 Bug-Reports for 23.0.92.1 LENNART (patched) [WAS: 23.0.60; yanking raw-text into mini-buffer causes crash]
@ 2009-04-03 17:40 MON KEY
From: MON KEY @ 2009-04-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs, emacs-pretest-bug, help-emacs-windows, emacs-devel
  Cc: DvdS, lennart.borgman, rob.davenport, drew.adams

I recently screwed up a bug report sent to help-emacs-windows@gnu.org:
 "23.0.60; yanking raw-text into mini-buffer causes crash"
by somehow clobbering the operative bug description and details .

In the wake of this report, I have received 2 (two) separate
pejorative emails "informing" about the use of
help-emacs-windows@gnu.org for filing bug reports when using the
Lennart build of GNU-Emacs for w32 (patched). In lieu of these emails
I suspect of having stepped into someone else's dog fight.

_Someone please FORMALLY CLARIFY the correct protocol for following situation_

The w32 binary from a recent vanilla Emacs pretest-build:
Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-02-26 on SOFT-MJASON

On this build: Help > Send Bug Report ==>
Generates a bug-report *mail* buffer with a field; TO: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org

-
However, Emacs build in use per the 'erroneous' bug-report was
(Lennart 23.060 - patched).

On that older Lennart build: Help > Send Bug Report ==>
Generates a bug-report *mail* buffer with a field; TO:
help-emacs-windows@gnu.org

I therefor accepted this as the desired (and presumably previously
agreed upon) protocol.

Indeed, the most current Lennart build (flagged testing) does the same, i.e.:
GNU Emacs 23.0.92.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-03-31 on LENNART (patched)

On this most current Lennart build: Help > Send Bug Report ==>
Also generates a bug-report *mail* buffer with a field; TO:
help-emacs-windows@gnu.org

Are the aforementioned behaviors of these Lennart builds incorrect?
If so, _I_ am _NOT_ the only person whom needs to be politely informed
of the correct means with which to file a bug report when using
Lennart builds of Emacs-w32.

If aforementioned behaviors on the Lennart builds are correct, I
kindly request that others take notice of the current protocol vis a
vis bug reports for a non-standard build of GNU Emacs intended for use
on non-free OSs...

*** FWIW: The cruxt of _my_ user error involved me kill/pasting from
Emacs' bug-report *mail* buffer into a gmail web-interface and hitting
send without checking that everything was yanked/copied correctly.

Unfortunately, I am not currently using GNUS/Rmail as my primary mail
interface in lieu of the recent EasyPG/GNUPG integration with 23.0.*
builds of GNU-Emacs/Emacs-w32, and my inability to grok a reasonable
multi-platform auth-source configuration to my current mail host's
various transfer protocols.

That said, given the recent Emacs/email/authentication/SMTP security
concerns (only recently brought to light on emacs-devel within the
last 60 days). I believe that my hesitation to adopt EasyPG wholesale
for either GNU-Emacs/Emacs-w32 is not entirely misplaced esp. for
builds marked pre-test/beta/testing and which BTW also introduce new
mechanisms for DBUS, mulit-tty interaction, Tramp, process-control
etc.

None-the-less, the default Emacs bug-reporting mechanism is skewed
(albeit correctly) towards generation of email bug-reports from within
Emacs. In the absence of seamless universal Emacs integration with
email clients and the myriad email transfer protocols it seems likely
that erroneous and/or incomplete bug reports (esp. those filed sans
Emacs) will continue to be an issue. This shouldn't necessarily lead
one assume then that it is considered _unreasonable_ for users to
email Emacs related help-requests/bug-reports with other than Emacs
native mail clients, i.e. Rmail/GNUS - or should it? The impression
I'm left with in in lieu of the two recent emails below seem suggest
otherwise. ***

;;; ==============================

;;; ==============================
> from	David Vanderschel
> to	MON KEY
> cc	robd
> subject Re: 23.0.60; yanking raw-text into mini-buffer causes crash

> I am not even sure what you are trying to do.  If you intend this as a bug
> report, then please use the bulit-in bug reporting feature and send the report
> to bug-gnu-emacs:  http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/bug-gnu-emacs
> You do not have to subscribe to that list.

> If you are seeking help to avoid the problem, please describe your configuration
> (Windows OS, Emacs version, etc.) and give more details.  E.g., how big a number
> does it take?

> For now I am going to delete your comment
;;; ==============================

* Re: Emacs-w32 Bug-Reports for 23.0.92.1 LENNART (patched)
@ 2009-04-03 18:15 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-04-03 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, DvdS, lennart.borgman, emacs-devel,
	rob.davenport, drew.adams

Please do NOT send email to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org or
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org unless you are reporting a bug.  That creates
a bug in the Emacs bug tracker.

Everyone else using this thread---please do not include those addresses
in your CCs.

Thanks.

* Re: Emacs-w32 Bug-Reports for 23.0.92.1 LENNART (patched) [WAS:  23.0.60; yanking raw-text into mini-buffer causes crash]
@ 2009-04-03 21:39 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-04-03 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY
  Cc: help-emacs-windows, DvdS, emacs-pretest-bug, bug-gnu-emacs,
	emacs-devel, rob.davenport, drew.adams

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 7:40 PM, MON KEY <monkey@sandpframing.com> wrote:
> I recently screwed up a bug report sent to help-emacs-windows@gnu.org:
>  "23.0.60; yanking raw-text into mini-buffer causes crash"
> by somehow clobbering the operative bug description and details .
>
> In the wake of this report, I have received 2 (two) separate
> pejorative emails "informing" about the use of
> help-emacs-windows@gnu.org for filing bug reports when using the
> Lennart build of GNU-Emacs for w32 (patched). In lieu of these emails
> I suspect of having stepped into someone else's dog fight.
> _Someone please FORMALLY CLARIFY the correct protocol for following situation_

I feel a bit guilty so please forward any pejorative emails to me ;-)

I have tried to arrange bug reporting the best way I could but maybe I
have not been clear enough. If you are using the patched version to
send then it will go to help-emacs-windows@gnu.org (h-e-w) as you have
observed. In the beginning of the generated message there is this
notice:

  This is a bug report for the PATCHED Emacs+EmacsW32.
  Please test the unpatched version of Emacs+EmacsW32 before reporting
  if you can. If the bug is also in the unpatched version then
  report from the unpatched version else report here.

  If it is very inconvenient for you to try the unpatched version,
  but you believe the bug is not related to the patches then you
  may change the address above to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org

I think this is a reasonable way to handle the difficulties with the
bug reports for the patched version I distribute.

David, you are in charge of h-e-w, did we discuss this before? I have
forgotten. Since h-e-w is a low traffic list and those who use the
patched version might be interested in this list anyway I have
addressed the bug reports to this list. There are also very few bug
reports that are specific to the patched version.

> On that older Lennart build: Help > Send Bug Report ==>
> Generates a bug-report *mail* buffer with a field; TO:
> help-emacs-windows@gnu.org
>
> I therefor accepted this as the desired (and presumably previously
> agreed upon) protocol.

This is at least where I want you to send the bug report.

> Are the aforementioned behaviors of these Lennart builds incorrect?
> If so, _I_ am _NOT_ the only person whom needs to be politely informed
> of the correct means with which to file a bug report when using
> Lennart builds of Emacs-w32.

No, we all need that help for our first bug report in a new situation ... ;-)

> *** FWIW: The cruxt of _my_ user error involved me kill/pasting from
> Emacs' bug-report *mail* buffer into a gmail web-interface and hitting
> send without checking that everything was yanked/copied correctly.

Did you notice that there is a little program called gAttach that can
make gmail:s web interface act as the default mail client on w32?

@ 2009-04-03 21:41   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-04-03 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MON KEY; +Cc: help-emacs-windows, emacs-devel

Eh, sigh. Sorry for not removing the bug mail addresses.