* max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-20 22:26 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-20 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I have got a bug report that I do not understand at all and would
appreciate any help and thoughts. Chris, a user, gets an error when he
opens a file with nXhtml in Emacs. The error is

  Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

This happens during fontification with MuMaMo. I have not been able to
reproduce this problem myself, but another user, ecce, has seen the
same problem. It disappeared however when he upgraded. (I have asked
ecce to test the file Chris have problems with too.)

I do not have any idea about what is going on. Chris has tried to
raise max-specpdl-size to 100 000 but that did not help.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-20 23:05 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-20 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have got a bug report that I do not understand at all and would
> appreciate any help and thoughts. Chris, a user, gets an error when he
> opens a file with nXhtml in Emacs. The error is
>
>  Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>
> This happens during fontification with MuMaMo. I have not been able to
> reproduce this problem myself, but another user, ecce, has seen the
> same problem. It disappeared however when he upgraded. (I have asked
> ecce to test the file Chris have problems with too.)
>
> I do not have any idea about what is going on. Chris has tried to
> raise max-specpdl-size to 100 000 but that did not help.

Forgot to link to the bug report:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/300946

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-21  2:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-12-21  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I have got a bug report that I do not understand at all and would
> appreciate any help and thoughts. Chris, a user, gets an error when he
> opens a file with nXhtml in Emacs. The error is

>   Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

> This happens during fontification with MuMaMo. I have not been able to
> reproduce this problem myself, but another user, ecce, has seen the
> same problem. It disappeared however when he upgraded. (I have asked
> ecce to test the file Chris have problems with too.)

Could depends on whether (and which) files have been byte-compiled.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-21 10:00   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-21 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> I have got a bug report that I do not understand at all and would
>> appreciate any help and thoughts. Chris, a user, gets an error when he
>> opens a file with nXhtml in Emacs. The error is
>
>>   Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>
>> This happens during fontification with MuMaMo. I have not been able to
>> reproduce this problem myself, but another user, ecce, has seen the
>> same problem. It disappeared however when he upgraded. (I have asked
>> ecce to test the file Chris have problems with too.)
>
> Could depends on whether (and which) files have been byte-compiled.

Thanks, Stefan.

Chris is using ubuntu and he said that he is using
"emacs-snapshot=1:20081205-1 installed from the PPA". I have just
asked him to check out and compile Emacs himself if he can.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-22  9:20     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 3:19 AM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>> I have got a bug report that I do not understand at all and would
>>> appreciate any help and thoughts. Chris, a user, gets an error when he
>>> opens a file with nXhtml in Emacs. The error is
>>
>>>   Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
>>
>>> This happens during fontification with MuMaMo. I have not been able to
>>> reproduce this problem myself, but another user, ecce, has seen the
>>> same problem. It disappeared however when he upgraded. (I have asked
>>> ecce to test the file Chris have problems with too.)
>>
>> Could depends on whether (and which) files have been byte-compiled.
>
> Thanks, Stefan.
>
> Chris is using ubuntu and he said that he is using
> "emacs-snapshot=1:20081205-1 installed from the PPA". I have just
> asked him to check out and compile Emacs himself if he can.

I got this reply from Chris

  I built Emacs from source and the max-specpdl-error went away. On
  startup, emacs gives the warning

     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
  (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)

Is there perhaps a problem with the PPA distro in Ubuntu? Is this the
same as on Debian?

Seems like pure space shoudl be increased.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-22 22:34       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-22 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Romain Francoise; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Lennart Borgman
> <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Could depends on whether (and which) files have been byte-compiled.
>>
>> Thanks, Stefan.
>>
>> Chris is using ubuntu and he said that he is using
>> "emacs-snapshot=1:20081205-1 installed from the PPA". I have just
>> asked him to check out and compile Emacs himself if he can.
>
> I got this reply from Chris
>
>  I built Emacs from source and the max-specpdl-error went away. On
>  startup, emacs gives the warning
>
>     Warning (initialization): Building Emacs overflowed pure space.
>  (See the node Pure Storage in the Lisp manual for details.)
>
> Is there perhaps a problem with the PPA distro in Ubuntu? Is this the
> same as on Debian?

Romain, do you have anything to say about this?

@ 2008-12-22 22:51         ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2008-12-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Romain, do you have anything to say about this?

Not really, no.  AIUI the pure space overflow applies to the OP's
self-compiled Emacs, not to the Ubuntu version (the Ubuntu build
scripts explicitly fail the build on purpose when that happens).
And there's not enough information about the original mumamo issue
to conclude that the problem is on the Emacs side.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-22 23:05           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-22 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Romain, do you have anything to say about this?
>
> Not really, no.  AIUI the pure space overflow applies to the OP's
> self-compiled Emacs, not to the Ubuntu version (the Ubuntu build
> scripts explicitly fail the build on purpose when that happens).
> And there's not enough information about the original mumamo issue
> to conclude that the problem is on the Emacs side.

What more information do you think is needed?

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-23 19:48           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-23 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Romain, do you have anything to say about this?
>
> Not really, no.  AIUI the pure space overflow applies to the OP's
> self-compiled Emacs, not to the Ubuntu version (the Ubuntu build
> scripts explicitly fail the build on purpose when that happens).
> And there's not enough information about the original mumamo issue
> to conclude that the problem is on the Emacs side.

Another user now wrote on the bug page
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/300946) that he got the same
problem, but it went away when he compiled Emacs himself. (He did not
mention the pure space problem.)

Is it possible that you can upload a new snap-shot so we can see if
the problem is gone there?

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-23 23:39             ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2008-12-23 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Another user now wrote on the bug page
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/300946) that he got the same
> problem, but it went away when he compiled Emacs himself.

That could mean that the error is triggered by a system
configuration file (under /etc/emacs/site-start.d); contrary
to the packaged version a self-compiled Emacs doesn't load them.

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-23 23:42               ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2008-12-23 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romain Francoise; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> wrote:
> "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Another user now wrote on the bug page
>> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/300946) that he got the same
>> problem, but it went away when he compiled Emacs himself.
>
> That could mean that the error is triggered by a system
> configuration file (under /etc/emacs/site-start.d); contrary
> to the packaged version a self-compiled Emacs doesn't load them.

The error happens when emacs is started with "emacs -Q". Do you mean
that the conf file above is run then?

* Re: max-specpdl-size mysterium with nXhtml
@ 2008-12-23 23:46                 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2008-12-23 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> The error happens when emacs is started with "emacs -Q". Do you
> mean that the conf file above is run then?

No, it's not.