On 7/17/08, Miles Bader wrote: > "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" writes: > > looking-at does not have a BOUND parameter, but re-search-forward > > have. This makes re-search-forward a bit more flexible. > > > > I am looking at some code where I would have use for that flexibility, > > but I wonder if there is any drawback with replacing looking-at with > > re-search-forward (with an achored pattern). > > > > Is there any? Performance? > > If you want to reject matches that extend past some point, just do > something like: > > (and (looking-at REGEXP) (<= (match-end 0) BOUND)) Thanks Miles, Yes, that is one possibility. But then perhaps I would assume that re-search-forward better might optimize that search since it can (in theory) cut off the searching at BOUND. In the case I am looking at performance is important.