* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
@ 2009-02-01 23:35 ` Jason Rumney
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-02-01 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: help-emacs-windows@gnu.org, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> This is the first pretest for what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  As a
> result, there may be packaging errors in the tarball, so please be on
> the lookout for problems with installation.
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via
> M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.
> For questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

The build ran with no problems on Windows. Binaries have been uploaded to

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

> Emacs 23 contains many changes relative to Emacs 22.  For details, see
> the file etc/NEWS.  A few particular notes for those who have not been
> following Emacs CVS development:
>
>  - The RMAIL mail package was recently changed to use mbox instead of
>    Babyl for its internal format.  This part of Emacs may be less stable
>    than others; for safety, please back up your mail files before trying
>    the new Rmail.
>
>  - The Carbon port is no longer distributed with Emacs.  To build Emacs
>    on Mac OS X, use the Nextstep/Cocoa/GNUstep port instead.  For
>    details, see the file nextstep/README.  The GNUstep support is
>    presently not fully functional---help in this area would be
>    appreciated.
>
> Good luck testing!

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
@ 2009-02-02  1:55 ` Glenn Morris
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-02  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Don't the pretests usually come with a branch?

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02  2:36   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-02  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

> Don't the pretests usually come with a branch?

Not necessarily, no.  We usually make a branch for a release sometime
during the pretest (and the tradition is that it's done by someone who
forgot how tricky CVS branches are ;-).

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02  4:18   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-02  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:55:24 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

> Don't the pretests usually come with a branch?

They most certainly should!

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
@ 2009-02-02  4:19 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-02  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:56:15 -0500
>
> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz

Thanks.

But ".90"? boy, that _is_ ambitious (or exceedingly optimistic)!

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-02  4:32 ` Giorgos Keramidas
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-02-02  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:56:15 -0500, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> This is the first pretest for what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  As a
> result, there may be packaging errors in the tarball, so please be on
> the lookout for problems with installation.
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via
> M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.
> For questions, please email emacs-devel@gnu.org.

Thank you!

I have updated the FreeBSD editors/emacs-devel port to use this tarball
as the release source, instead of an older CVS snapshot.

Two things that I noticed during the package update are:

  - Now our FreeBSD specific src/alloc.c patch is part of the official
    release tarballs, so we can trim it from the Ports tree of FreeBSD.

    Yay, thanks for that...

  - While installing Emacs 23.0.90 in a temporary area, as part of the
    packaging list update, I noticed a message about missing files:

        Compressing *.el ...^M
        gzip: can't stat: ./quail/hangul3.el: No such file or directory^M
        chmod -R a+r /var/tmp/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.90/leim^M

    This may be a Makefile bug that has to be fixed, or there may be
    files missing from the release tarball.

>  - The RMAIL mail package was recently changed to use mbox instead of
>    Babyl for its internal format.  This part of Emacs may be less stable
>    than others; for safety, please back up your mail files before trying
>    the new Rmail.

FWIW, I have added this note to the package description for the update
of the FreeBSD package.  If there are bug reports sent to me but not
copied to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org or emacs-devel@gnu.org, I will copy
the emails to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

Happy pretesting everyone :-)

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-02  4:42 ` Will Farrington
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Will Farrington @ 2009-02-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Build works on Mac OS X 10.5.6 using the following configure flags: --
with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no --with-ns.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02  4:57   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2009-02-02  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
>> following location:
>>
>>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> Thanks.
>
> But ".90"? boy, that _is_ ambitious (or exceedingly optimistic)!

For the Emacs 22 pretest, at least, we also counted from .90.  If we
need more than ten of these, the version numbers will continue into
22.0.100, and so forth.  (I recall a ludicrously long thread on
emacs-devel about numbering the pretests; one of the proposals, if
memory serves, involved using negative numbers ;-)

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-02  6:06 ` Eli Zaretskii
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-02  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:56:15 -0500
>
> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> This is the first pretest for what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  As a
> result, there may be packaging errors in the tarball, so please be on
> the lookout for problems with installation.
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via
> M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

The pretest was configured with --without-x and built successfully on
this platform:

 Linux fencepost 2.6.16.29-xen #1 SMP Wed Dec 6 07:32:36 EST 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Two bugs I found were sent via report-emacs-bugs.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02  7:00     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-02  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Don't the pretests usually come with a branch?
>
> They most certainly should!

Looking at the CVS history of lisp/version.el, it seems we are both
mis-remembering how things work. For both 21 and 22, the branch only
appears just before the final release.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-02  7:20 ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2009-02-02  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, [...]

Thank you. Gentoo has this as app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.90 now.

> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure
> on your build platform.

Builds and runs (tested with GTK or Athena/Lucid toolkit for now) on
a Gentoo Linux x86 system. I noticed the following warning from the
C compiler:

   sound.c: In function 'alsa_configure':
   sound.c:1070: warning: 'snd_pcm_sw_params_set_xfer_align' is
   deprecated (declared at /usr/include/alsa/pcm.h:1115)

This is with alsa-headers / alsa-lib 1.0.19.

See the following thread at alsa-devel:
<http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-July/009409.html>

Ulrich

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02  7:41     ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2009-02-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On 2009-02-02 05:57 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
>>> following location:
>>>
>>>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> But ".90"? boy, that _is_ ambitious (or exceedingly optimistic)!
>
> For the Emacs 22 pretest, at least, we also counted from .90.  If we
> need more than ten of these, the version numbers will continue into
> 22.0.100, and so forth.  (I recall a ludicrously long thread on
> emacs-devel about numbering the pretests; one of the proposals, if
> memory serves, involved using negative numbers ;-)

The last Emacs 22 pretest tarball had a number of 22.0.990, the reason
being that 22.0.100 sorts before 22.0.99 ASCIIbetically.

Sven

* hangul3.el [was Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90]
@ 2009-02-02  8:20   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-02-02  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giorgos Keramidas; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>         Compressing *.el ...^M
>         gzip: can't stat: ./quail/hangul3.el: No such file or directory^M
>         chmod -R a+r /var/tmp/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.90/leim^M

There is a stale leim/quail/hangul3.elc in the tarball.
The .el file was removed 2008-06-30.

(make-dist is supposed to warn about such things?)

* Re: hangul3.el
@ 2009-02-02  8:28     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-02-02  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 03:20:33 -0500, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>>         Compressing *.el ...^M
>>         gzip: can't stat: ./quail/hangul3.el: No such file or directory^M
>>         chmod -R a+r /var/tmp/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.90/leim^M
>
> There is a stale leim/quail/hangul3.elc in the tarball.
> The .el file was removed 2008-06-30.
>
> (make-dist is supposed to warn about such things?)

Ah, I see it now :-)

I'll try to remove it from the packaging list of the FreeBSD port then.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-02 11:21 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-02-02 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 23:56, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

>  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz

Builds OK with:

 - Windows XP Home
   gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20080305 (alpha-testing) mingw-20080502

 - Windows XP Pro
   gcc (GCC) 4.2.1-sjlj (mingw32-2)
   gcc (GCC) 4.3.0 20080305 (alpha-testing) mingw-20080502

Juanma

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02 15:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-02 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

>> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
>> following location:
>>
>> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz

> Thanks.

> But ".90"? boy, that _is_ ambitious (or exceedingly optimistic)!

Oh, yes, I forgot this nonsense as well.  We should write it down:

- the pretest start at .90
- after .99 comes .990

It's been that way for more than 10 years.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-02 20:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-02-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:31:58 -0500
>
> >> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> >> following location:
> >>
> >> http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> > Thanks.
>
> > But ".90"? boy, that _is_ ambitious (or exceedingly optimistic)!
>
> Oh, yes, I forgot this nonsense as well.  We should write it down:
>
> - the pretest start at .90
> - after .99 comes .990
>
> It's been that way for more than 10 years.

Major releases with so many changes started at .70, IIRC.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-03  1:43       ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-02-03  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: eliz, cyd, emacs-devel

In the past, we made a branch
at the time we wanted to start encouraging most developers
to focus on the next version.

From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-02-03  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: cyd, emacs-devel

    Builds and runs (tested with GTK or Athena/Lucid toolkit for now) on
    a Gentoo Linux x86 system.

Thanks for testing it.  However, Gentoo is a GNU/Linux system, so
calling it "Gentoo Linux" is not treating us right.  Please call it
"Gentoo GNU/Linux".

See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html for more explanation.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
       [not found] <87myd5vka8.fsf@cyd.mit.edu>
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-03 17:08 ` Manoj Srivastava
From: Manoj Srivastava @ 2009-02-03 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

        Configured and Build on a bleeding edge Debian Lenny GNU?Linux
 system.

./configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --with-dbus --with-gpm --with-pop=yes
   --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif --with-png --with-x
     --with-xft --with-freetype --with-rsvg --with-libotf

Configured for `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /tmp/emacs-23.0.90
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/amdx86-64.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2 -Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11)
 of 2009-02-03 on anzu

        It seems to work fine with my (fairly complex) .emacs setup.

        manoj
--
In Greene, New York, it is illegal to eat peanuts and walk backwards on
the sidewalks when a concert is on.

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-02-04  9:21   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2009-02-04  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 06:32:46 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:56:15 -0500, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
>> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
>> following location:
>>
>>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz

Emacs 23.0.90 pretest seems to be running fine here on FreeBSD/i386
using the 8.0-CURRENT branch:

# uname -v
FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Jan 31 13:45:22 EET 2009 build@kobe:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KOBE

I haven't received any reports for problems yet, but if there are any
we'll post a notice to emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org.

Thanks for the pretest release, everyone

- Giorgos

* Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
@ 2009-03-14 15:19   ` Jan Djärv
From: Jan Djärv @ 2009-03-14 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: Chong Yidong, emacs-devel

Ulrich Mueller skrev:

>> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, [...]
>
> Thank you. Gentoo has this as app-editors/emacs-cvs-23.0.90 now.
>
>> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure
>> on your build platform.
>
> Builds and runs (tested with GTK or Athena/Lucid toolkit for now) on
> a Gentoo Linux x86 system. I noticed the following warning from the
> C compiler:
>
>    sound.c: In function 'alsa_configure':
>    sound.c:1070: warning: 'snd_pcm_sw_params_set_xfer_align' is
>    deprecated (declared at /usr/include/alsa/pcm.h:1115)
>
> This is with alsa-headers / alsa-lib 1.0.19.
>
> See the following thread at alsa-devel:
> <http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2008-July/009409.html>

As suggested by the thread, I have removed the call.  Testing seems to
indicate that it is indeed not needed.

	Jan D.