On 17.05.2022 16:51, Timothy wrote: > > Hello, > > I’ve recently been chatting with Adrien Brochard (who ran the 2020 > Emacs survey), and I’m pushing for a 2022 Emacs survey. > > Even with detailed telemetry (urgh) it can be hard to understand the > range of experiences and opinions users have. As such, particularly > once we have past surveys to reference and some consistent questions, > I see quite a bit of value in helping: > > 1. Emacs developers, > 2. Emacs package developers/maintainers, > 3. The Emacs community itself > > better understand the Emacs community. > > Of course, this being a fiercely FOSS community, the situation with > survey platforms leaves quite a bit to be desired. To resolve this > issue, I spent some time last year writing a 100% FOSS, survey > framework which is > completely functional without any JS. I have attached some screenshots > of it to this email. > > It would be good to maximise the utility of the survey to the three > groups mentioned earlier. In this vein I hope some of you, > emacs-devel, would be willing to provide some feedback on the survey :) > > Attached you may find the current draft survey questions, both as > survey-questions.org file and the configuration file used by my survey > framework, survey.jl. If you’d like, you can even try running the > survey locally. > > Lastly, if any of you would like to chat about this over IRC you can > find me as “tecosaur” on libera.chat, and @tecosaur:matrix.org over on > Matrix. > > All the best, > *Timothy* > A few comments: - How were you introduced to Emacs? "Emacs recommended by collegue" is not an option, despite using Emacs for work being an option. - Survey seems programmer-centric. What about people using Emacs for non-programming purposes? I.e. as a text-editor? - Which Industry do you work in? Could use a creative/writing? Media/publishing? Etc. My 2 cents -- *Jostein Kjønigsen* jostein.kjønigsen.no jostein@kjonigsen.net - jostein@gmail.com