On 12.02.2017 12:14, martin rudalics wrote: > > This argument right here is why I would vote against comment-cache: > I'd rather > > have parens-in-comments-at-column-0 parsed incorrectly -- at least, > until > > syntax-ppss is fixed -- than to add another cache just to fix this > problem. > > Unless I've missed something... > > It makes me rather sad that this discussion does not consider ecological > consequences at all. IIUC it started because of a "(c)" copyright > characters sequence in the comment of some C code. Doesn't it strike > anyone as the ultimate irony to consider this an issue in the context of > copylefted software? > > Also IIUC we still adhere to the GNU coding standards which clearly say > that > > It is important to put the open-brace that starts the body of a C > function in column one, so that they will start a defun. Several tools > look for open-braces in column one to find the beginnings of C > functions. These tools will not work on code not formatted that way. > > Avoid putting open-brace, open-parenthesis or open-bracket in column > one when they are inside a function, so that they won’t start a > defun. The open-brace that starts a struct body can go in column one > if you find it useful to treat that definition as a defun. > > The continuous attempts to deceive this standard's rules have been > harassing me for many years now. If people do like copyrighted code and > code written according to non-GNU standards, then we should provide at > least one single option that respects an open paren in column zero where > it belongs to: At the beginning of a defun and nowhere else. > > In Emacs this option is called `open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start'. > Emacs code should obey this option in the sense that if it is non-nil, > it should behave ecologically in terms of consumption of CPU cycles and > memory space. > > martin > > Hi Martin, thanks. IMO you addressed two core-issues of Emacs' future: a political and a technical one. As for the copyright, conceive it as contradicting to the idea of free software - whilst the paperworks reached out here rely on it. open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start ignores the fact functions commonly might be nested. That way Emacs can't handle nested definitions reliably. Why not have a purely GPL-based Emacs with the open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start hampering removed? Make Emacs still greater, Andreas