Would you be amenable to me pushing the attached patch? Jackson On 12/17/2016 07:18 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >> Apparently, tar uses gnulib's excluded_file_name function, which appears >> to delegate to fnmatch, which looks pretty complex to me. I'm not aware >> of a "standalone" command providing an interface for this pattern >> matcher, but if one exists, maybe we could utilize that. > > I think we could use sh's "case" patterns for that. > >> Another option might be to generate an archive with tar and then use the >> list of included files to determine what to compile. This command: >> >> $ tar -ch packages/context-coloring/ --exclude-vcs -X \ >> packages/context-coloring/.elpaignore | tar --list >> >> Produces this output: > >> packages/context-coloring/ >> packages/context-coloring/LICENSE >> packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-emacs-lisp.el >> packages/context-coloring/README.md >> packages/context-coloring/context-coloring-javascript.el >> packages/context-coloring/context-coloring.el >> >> We could filter down the ".el" files from there. > > That might work as well, indeed. > > BTW, given the current GNUmakefile, it's easy/natural to only test > .elpaignore matches for those files which end in .el and which don't yet > have a .elc file. I expect this would be an important optimization to > make sure that "make" is fast when there's not much to (re)compile. > > > Stefan >