Style discussions tend to quickly digress into endless bikeshedding, so be careful what you wish for. :-) I've started the GitHub style guide project for 2 reasons: - it's easier to discuss code snippets there (mostly because they are properly formatted) - I wanted to avoid the extra work to update the Emacs manual I hoped that eventually some of this work would go back to the Elisp manual, but lately I haven't had much time for the style guide and it has been somewhat dormant. I completely agree that in the end of the day one also needs to enforce style automatically (e.g. via formatters/linters). That's what I did with Ruby and RuboCop, but it's so much work that I didn't want to do it for other languages. :-) On Thu, Sep 30, 2021, at 10:02 AM, André A. Gomes wrote: > akater writes: > > > There is an informal consensus that it's worth it to use whitespace > > wisely to keep Lisp forms concise vertically as well as horizontally. I > > think if the idea is recognised as useful it better be explicitly stated > > as such rather than remain folklore. [...] > > > > True, this is largerly a matter of personal style. However, there is > > also some accumulated experience which I think is worth aggregating. > > And no style is actually 100% personal when we collaborate. > > Akater, I think the topic you're raising is important. > > My only thought is that it makes little sense to aggregate these > folklore syntax practices without a (heartless) linting tool that > actually enforces/checks if they're being respected. > > > -- > André A. Gomes > "Free Thought, Free World" > >