* Re: master b944e88 5/7: emacsclient.c: use C99 better
       [not found] ` <20181119193828.D38F420CF3@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2018-11-20 11:19   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-11-20 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Paul Eggert

eggert@cs.ucla.edu (Paul Eggert) writes:

> -  size_t dlen;
> -
> -  if (!data)
> -    return;
> -
> -  dlen = strlen (data);

I convinced myself that data could never be NULL here, but perhaps a
comment to that effect? (or restore the NULL check).

Robert

* Re: master b944e88 5/7: emacsclient.c: use C99 better
@ 2018-11-21  2:29     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-11-21  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim, emacs-devel

On 11/20/18 3:19 AM, Robert Pluim wrote:

>> -  size_t dlen;
>> -
>> -  if (!data)
>> -    return;
>> -
>> -  dlen = strlen (data);
> I convinced myself that data could never be NULL here, but perhaps a
> comment to that effect? (or restore the NULL check).

Any such check should be a compile-time check, by declaring the
containing function with the ARG_NONNULL () attribute. But why stop
there? ARG_NONNULL () could be applied to every function in emacsclient.c.

For Emacs, ARG_NONNULL () is typically overkill, as it doesn't help the
user or the compiler enough to be worth the overhead of using it. In
this particular case we have a static function that calls strlen on its
argument so it is obviously expecting the argument to be a nonnull
pointer and ARG_NONNULL () isn't needed. That being said, a comment
might not hurt, and I'll look into doing that in my next revision (I'm
currently looking into fixing some problems with emacsclient.c anyway....).