* emacs-unicode: `Encoded-kbd' weirdness during batch-mode
@ 2004-10-04  1:24 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-10-04  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-unicode

I have a feeling the following shouldn't happen:

   $ emacs --version
   GNU Emacs 22.0.0.7
   GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
   You may redistribute copies of Emacs
   under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
   For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

   $ echo $LANG
   ja_JP.UTF-8

   $ make -C /usr/local/build/emacs/unicode/lisp recompile
   make: Entering directory `/usr/local/build/emacs/unicode/lisp'
   ../src/emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -f batch-byte-compile /usr/local/src/emacs/unicode/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
   Unsupported coding system in Encoded-kbd mode: utf-8
   make: *** [/usr/local/src/emacs/unicode/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.elc] エラー 255
   make: Leaving directory `/usr/local/build/emacs/unicode/lisp'

Compilation succeeds if I do `LANG=C' first.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!

* Re: emacs-unicode: `Encoded-kbd' weirdness during batch-mode
@ 2004-10-04  1:46 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-10-04  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 10:24:33AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
>    Unsupported coding system in Encoded-kbd mode: utf-8

BTW, this same error occurs if I start emacs in a terminal with
`emacs -nw -q', and causes emacs to abort startup, and not visit any
files I gave on the command-line.

Even if it's hard to support utf-8 input (is it?), should this really
be an error, given that it's somewhat out of the user's control?

A possible side-effect of the error also seems to be that it doesn't
set the terminal-coding-system from LANG for output either.  If I
start emacs with LANG=ja_JP.utf8, files containing non-ascii
characters are displayed as question-marks, but I can make them
display correctly by using `C-x C-m t' -- but the trunk does this
automatically from LANG.

Thanks,

-miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that

* Re: emacs-unicode: `Encoded-kbd' weirdness during batch-mode
@ 2004-10-04  2:57 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-10-04  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

In article <buok6u76zse.fsf@mctpc71.ucom.lsi.nec.co.jp>, Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

> I have a feeling the following shouldn't happen:
>    $ emacs --version
>    GNU Emacs 22.0.0.7
>    Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>    GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
>    You may redistribute copies of Emacs
>    under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
>    For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

>    $ echo $LANG
>    ja_JP.UTF-8

>    $ make -C /usr/local/build/emacs/unicode/lisp recompile
>    make: Entering directory `/usr/local/build/emacs/unicode/lisp'
>    ../src/emacs -batch --no-site-file --multibyte -f batch-byte-compile /usr/local/src/emacs/unicode/lisp/progmodes/cc-mode.el
>    Unsupported coding system in Encoded-kbd mode: utf-8

Thank you for finding this bug.  It seems that I made a
mistake when I merged a change in trunk.  I've just
installed a fix.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: emacs-unicode: `Encoded-kbd' weirdness during batch-mode
@ 2004-10-04  3:25   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-10-04  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

Kenichi Handa <handa@m17n.org> writes:
>>    Unsupported coding system in Encoded-kbd mode: utf-8
>
> I've just installed a fix.

Thank you -- now I can actually input characters from my utf-8 terminal!

It still doesn't seem to set the terminal-coding-system from LANG
correctly though:  If I start emacs in a terminal with LANG=ja_JP.utf8,
then _input_ now works great, but the just-input characters still show
as question marks; the beginning of the modeline is `U=U'.  Setting the
terminal coding system manually with `C-x C-m t' makes the modeline say
`UUU', and then everything displays correctly.  [This is somewhat the
opposite of the trunk -- it defaults the terminal output coding system
correctly based on LANG, but utf-8 input doesn't seem to work.]

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin

* Re: emacs-unicode: `Encoded-kbd' weirdness during batch-mode
@ 2004-10-12  2:42   ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-10-12  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-unicode, emacs-devel

In article <20041004014637.GA1941@fencepost>, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:
> A possible side-effect of the error also seems to be that it doesn't
> set the terminal-coding-system from LANG for output either.  If I
> start emacs with LANG=ja_JP.utf8, files containing non-ascii
> characters are displayed as question-marks, but I can make them
> display correctly by using `C-x C-m t' -- but the trunk does this
> automatically from LANG.

The reason of this bug was in another place.  In
emacs-unicode, the default of terminal coding system was
no-conversion, thus (set-terminal-coding-system nil) doesn't
set terminal coding system to default-terminal-coding-system
(which is utf-8).  I've just installed a fix.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org