* case-insensitive filename completion bug
@ 2008-06-10  8:06 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

If I have filename called "Foo", and I try to visit it with find-file,
and have `read-file-name-completion-ignore-case' set to t, then I can
type:

   C-x C-f f o TAB

hitting TAB will (1) change the lowercase "f" I typed to be "F", and (2)
insert the missing "o".

However, if I type:

   C-x C-f f o o TAB

it will say " [sole completion]" -- but will _not_ change change the
lowercase "f" to uppercase.  Because I'm using a case-sensitive
filesystem, the final filename doesn't exist, even though emacs said it
did.

One of the main reasons I like case-insensitive completion is that Emacs
will usually take care of capitalizating of studly-caps filenames; as a
result, I instinctively hit TAB to "correct" what I just typed and then
hit RET.  So this corner case where TAB _doesn't_ do it is pretty
annoying (and occurs surprisingly often).

So I think Emacs should replace the entered name with the "correct"
completion even if they are the same length.

[This case seems to work correctly for other types of case-insensitive
completion, e.g., buffer-names.]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]

* Re: case-insensitive filename completion bug
@ 2008-06-10 18:42 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-06-10 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Miles Bader; +Cc: emacs-devel

> it will say " [sole completion]" -- but will _not_ change change the
> lowercase "f" to uppercase.  Because I'm using a case-sensitive
> filesystem, the final filename doesn't exist, even though emacs said it
> did.

Should be fixed now,

* Re: case-insensitive filename completion bug
@ 2008-06-13  7:38   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-06-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> it will say " [sole completion]" -- but will _not_ change change the
>> lowercase "f" to uppercase.
>
> Should be fixed now,

Thanks, it does indeed work properly!

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.