* Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-05 16:01 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-05 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this test in `report-emacs-bug' tests the wrong mail address:

       ;; Insert warnings for novice users.
       (when (string-match "@gnu\\.org^" reporting-address)
	(insert "This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,\n")
	(let ((pos (point)))
	  (insert "not to your local site managers!")
	  (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)))

Should it not test `user-mail-address' instead?

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-05 16:32 ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-12-05 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

> I think this test in `report-emacs-bug' tests the wrong mail address:
>
>       ;; Insert warnings for novice users.
>       (when (string-match "@gnu\\.org^" reporting-address)
> 	(insert "This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,\n")
> 	(let ((pos (point)))
> 	  (insert "not to your local site managers!")
> 	  (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)))
>
> Should it not test `user-mail-address' instead?

Don't think so.  This warning is here to warn the user that the email
(s)he writes is GOING TO the FSF, not to the local sysadmin.

Why do you want to test user-mail-address? Maybe something's missing
in the warning set of emacsbug in your opinion?

--
/!\ My mail address has changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  (\(\  This is the cute bunny virus,   |

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-05 23:06   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-05 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Michaël Cadilhac wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>
>> I think this test in `report-emacs-bug' tests the wrong mail address:
>>
>>       ;; Insert warnings for novice users.
>>       (when (string-match "@gnu\\.org^" reporting-address)
>> 	(insert "This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,\n")
>> 	(let ((pos (point)))
>> 	  (insert "not to your local site managers!")
>> 	  (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)))
>>
>> Should it not test `user-mail-address' instead?
>
> Don't think so.  This warning is here to warn the user that the email
> (s)he writes is GOING TO the FSF, not to the local sysadmin.
>
> Why do you want to test user-mail-address? Maybe something's missing
> in the warning set of emacsbug in your opinion?

Oh, sorry. It is the regexp that is bad I think. It should probably be
"@gnu\\.org$".

But I noted more strange things in `report-emacs-bug'. There are a lot
of statements like

     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)

They does not seem to work. If the OBJECT parameter to put-text-property
is a string it works, but it does not work with (current-buffer) as far
as I can see.

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-05 23:44     ` Michaël Cadilhac
From: Michaël Cadilhac @ 2006-12-05 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:

>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>>
>>> I think this test in `report-emacs-bug' tests the wrong mail address:
>>>
>>>       ;; Insert warnings for novice users.
>>>       (when (string-match "@gnu\\.org^" reporting-address)

>  It is the regexp that is bad I think. It should probably be
> "@gnu\\.org$".

Of course you are right! :-)

> But I noted more strange things in `report-emacs-bug'. There are a lot
> of statements like
>
>     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)
>
> They does not seem to work.

Well, AFAICT, it works but mail-mode does not seem to allow it. If you
call text-mode after (compose-mail), the highlight will be there (for
whatever reason I don't have the time to investigate).

--
/!\ My mail address has changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |   Je veut dire que la loi francaise    |

@ 2006-12-06  0:05       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-06  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

Michaël Cadilhac wrote:

>>  It is the regexp that is bad I think. It should probably be
>> "@gnu\\.org$".
>
> Of course you are right! :-)

Could someone with CVS knowledge please fix that little problem?

>> But I noted more strange things in `report-emacs-bug'. There are a lot
>> of statements like
>>
>>     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)
>>
>> They does not seem to work.
>
> Well, AFAICT, it works but mail-mode does not seem to allow it. If you
> call text-mode after (compose-mail), the highlight will be there (for
> whatever reason I don't have the time to investigate).

I tested in the scratch buffer and got the same result. However after I
changed the mode to fundamental-mode the above statement worked.

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-06  0:22       ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-06  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
>>     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)
>>
>> They does not seem to work.
>
> Well, AFAICT, it works but mail-mode does not seem to allow it. If you
> call text-mode after (compose-mail), the highlight will be there (for
> whatever reason I don't have the time to investigate).

They work, but font-lock (used by mail-mode/message-mode) overrides
such manually-added face properties.

I think the right fix is to change 'face to 'font-lock-face.  That will
make the highlighting work iff font-lock is enabled -- which it is by
default.  [If those highlights are deemed so important that they must be
seen regardless of whether font-lcok is enabled, one could add _both_
'face and 'font-lock-face properties.]

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-06  0:54         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-06  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, Emacs Devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
>>>     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)
>>>
>>> They does not seem to work.
>> Well, AFAICT, it works but mail-mode does not seem to allow it. If you
>> call text-mode after (compose-mail), the highlight will be there (for
>> whatever reason I don't have the time to investigate).
>
> They work, but font-lock (used by mail-mode/message-mode) overrides
> such manually-added face properties.
>
> I think the right fix is to change 'face to 'font-lock-face.  That will
> make the highlighting work iff font-lock is enabled -- which it is by
> default.  [If those highlights are deemed so important that they must be
> seen regardless of whether font-lcok is enabled, one could add _both_
> 'face and 'font-lock-face properties.]
>
> -Miles

Would not an overlay be better? I guess that would not conflict with
font-lock-mode?

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-06  1:07           ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-06  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
> Would not an overlay be better? I guess that would not conflict with
> font-lock-mode?

Why would an overlay be better?  I think conceptually, it's clearly a
text property, and there's an established mechanism for dealing with
this particular case (overlays are also less efficient in general, but
that's proably not an issue in this case).  Indeed, it's arguably a
_feature_ that switching to font-lock-face would make the highlighting
respect font-lock mode, especially now that the latter is on by default.

-Miles
--

@ 2006-12-06  1:19             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-06  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, Emacs Devel

Miles Bader wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>> Would not an overlay be better? I guess that would not conflict with
>> font-lock-mode?
>
> Why would an overlay be better?  I think conceptually, it's clearly a
> text property, and there's an established mechanism for dealing with
> this particular case (overlays are also less efficient in general, but
> that's proably not an issue in this case).  Indeed, it's arguably a
> _feature_ that switching to font-lock-face would make the highlighting
> respect font-lock mode, especially now that the latter is on by default.
>
> -Miles

Ok, seems like I misread the node "(elisp) Precalculated Fontification".
I thought that explicit use of font-lock-face was something that the
mode fontification could do.

* Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
@ 2006-12-06  2:18               ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-06  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michaël Cadilhac, Emacs Devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
> Ok, seems like I misread the node "(elisp) Precalculated Fontification".
> I thought that explicit use of font-lock-face was something that the
> mode fontification could do.

Well of course the mode fontification can use it too, if they wish.
mail/message-mode do not.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"