* Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08  9:04 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2006-12-08  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Dear Kenichi,

Now, I've a tex source file which is written on Microsoft Windows.  When I
open it with Emacs on my Ubuntu Linux, because the linefeed is different between
Windows and Linux/Unix, so the file will have very long lines in it.  Even I
use the *M-q* and *truncate long line* command, I find the Emacs is always
manipulate the file too slowly to tolerate.

But I can open it with gedit and edit it very quickly, is there any tricks
to solve the problem or some bugs in Emacs?

Attached is my tex file.

--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
赵弘毅

题目:《春日即事》
作者:吕本中(1084-1145)
病起多情白日迟,强来庭下探花期。
雪消池馆初春后,人倚栏杆欲暮时。
乱蝶狂蜂俱有意,兔葵燕麦自无知。
池边垂柳腰支活,折尽长条为寄谁?

[-- Attachment #2: lone-line.tex.bz2 --]

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08  9:18 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-08  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, Kenichi Handa

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
> But I can open it with gedit and edit it very quickly, is there any tricks
> to solve the problem or some bugs in Emacs?

Is that really a windows file?  The lines are (mostly) separated with CR
(^M), which as far as I know is _not_ the windows line separator, but in
fact the old macintosh line separator.  Emacs normally handles such
files well, but in this case, there seem to be a few lines which use
newline instead of CR, so emacs thinks it isn't a macintosh file either.

I'd suggest just forcing it to use a consistent convention.

Try the following:

   (1) visit the file
   (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x C-m f mac RET
   (3) save the file:  C-x C-s
   (4) kill the buffer:  C-x C-k RET
   (5) revisit the changed file

-Miles

--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08 10:09     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-08 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>> Try the following:
>>
>>    (1) visit the file
>>    (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x C-m f mac RET
>
> But I can't input the C-x C-m, when stroking C-x C-m, the minibuffer will say:

Notice that C-x C-m is followed by "f" -- the full command is:  C-x C-m f

-Miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08 10:10   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2006-12-08 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I'd suggest just forcing it to use a consistent convention.
>
> Try the following:
>
>    (1) visit the file
>    (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x C-m f mac RET

But I can't input the C-x C-m, when stroking C-x C-m, the minibuffer will say:

==========
C-x RET-
==========

--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
赵弘毅
--

题目:《山园小梅》
作者:林逋(967-1028)

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08 10:52       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2006-12-08 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> >>    (1) visit the file
> >>    (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x C-m f mac RET
> >
> > But I can't input the C-x C-m, when stroking C-x C-m, the minibuffer will say:
>
> Notice that C-x C-m is followed by "f" -- the full command is:  C-x C-m f

I see, but this command is equivalent C-x RET f on my Operating System.

I do the following to solve this problem:

   (1) visit the file
   (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x RET f mac RET
   (3) save the file:  C-x C-s
   (4) kill the buffer:  C-x k RET

Please notice, not the command you told me: C-x C-k RET, because if I use
this command, I'll meet the following message:

===============
No keyboard macro defined.  Create one? (y or n)
===============

   (5) revisit the changed file

Why should these differences are exist?

--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
赵弘毅
--

题目:《暑中杂咏》
作者:苏舜钦(1008-1048)

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-08 10:58         ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-12-08 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>> Notice that C-x C-m is followed by "f" -- the full command is:  C-x C-m f
>
> I see, but this command is equivalent C-x RET f on my Operating System.

Yes, C-m and RET are different names for the same key.  You can type
either C-m or RET and it means the same thing.

> Please notice, not the command you told me: C-x C-k RET, because if I use
> this command, I'll meet the following message:

That's a typo on my part -- I mean:  C-x k RET

-Miles
--
It wasn't the Exxon Valdez captain's driving that caused the Alaskan oil spill.
It was yours.  [Greenpeace advertisement, New York Times, 25 February 1990]

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-09  1:26 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-09  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, handa

    Now, I've a tex source file which is written on Microsoft Windows.  When I
    open it with Emacs on my Ubuntu Linux,

Please do not call our operating system "Linux".  Ubuntu is an example
of a GNU/Linux system, basically GNU with Linux added.  Calling it
"Linux" is denying us the credit for our work.

					   because the linefeed is different between
    Windows and Linux/Unix,

Emacs is supposed to recognize different end-of-line data automatically
and convert.  If that doesn't happen in your case, but sounds like a bug.

Since you provided a test case, we will be able to debug it.  Thanks.

* Re: Emacs manipulate files with long-lines very slowly.
@ 2006-12-12 11:42     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-12-12 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, miles

In article <20061208101001.GA9251@localdomain>, Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> > I'd suggest just forcing it to use a consistent convention.
> >
> > Try the following:
> >
> >    (1) visit the file
> >    (2) force newlines to be written using CR:  C-x C-m f mac RET

> But I can't input the C-x C-m, when stroking C-x C-m, the minibuffer will say:

> C-x RET-

C-m is echoed as RET.  So just go a head by typing the next `f'.

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org