* minibuffer prev/next bindings in calc "algebraic-entry" mode
@ 2006-07-19  2:25 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-07-19  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

One long-standing complaint I've had about calc's "algebraic-entry" mode
(invoked by the ' key) is that the standard minibuffer prev/next
commands, M-p and M-n, don't work.  I later realized that the arrow keys
_do_ work, but as I normally never ever use them in the minibuffer, it
took me a _long_ time to find that out...

The algebraic-entry mode has it's own sort of half-assed
previous-command binding (bound to '), but it's not very good.

It also binds M-p to a fairly useless command, which basically just inserts "+/-".

I think for consistency and the sanity of our users, M-p and M-n should
have the standard bindings in this mode.  The existing mode-specific
binding of M-p doesn't seem useful enough to preserve (it could be moved
to a different key, e.g. M-+ or something if people actually use it for
something).

-Miles
--
Yo mama's so fat when she gets on an elevator it HAS to go down.

* Re: minibuffer prev/next bindings in calc "algebraic-entry" mode
@ 2006-07-19  3:24 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-07-19  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:
> The algebraic-entry mode has it's own sort of half-assed
> previous-command binding (bound to '), but it's not very good.
>
> It also binds M-p to a fairly useless command, which basically just inserts "+/-".

I wouldn't call that useless.

> I think for consistency and the sanity of our users, M-p and M-n should
> have the standard bindings in this mode.  The existing mode-specific
> binding of M-p doesn't seem useful enough to preserve (it could be moved
> to a different key, e.g. M-+ or something if people actually use it for
> something).

The usefulness of the binding of M-p is up for debate, I suppose, but
the importance of consistency and sanity are pretty clear.  (Well,
consistency, at least.)
In numeric entry mode, `p' is used to enter `+/-', which is probably
why `M-p' was chosen for algebraic entry.  How about using `C-p' for
entering `+/-' in algebraic mode, then?

Jay

* Re: minibuffer prev/next bindings in calc "algebraic-entry" mode
@ 2006-07-19  4:20   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2006-07-19  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:
> In numeric entry mode, `p' is used to enter `+/-', which is probably
> why `M-p' was chosen for algebraic entry.  How about using `C-p' for
> entering `+/-' in algebraic mode, then?

I don't think that's a good idea -- the standard binding for C-p is
useful even in minibuffers.  I often enter multi-line expressions by
hitting ', pasting a big string from some other location and editing it
(e.g., I can enter vectors from my C app by pasting from gdb and
replacing the gdb goop with calc goop) before hitting RET.

-miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."

* Re: minibuffer prev/next bindings in calc "algebraic-entry" mode
@ 2006-07-20 20:38 ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2006-07-20 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: belanger

Miles Bader <miles.bader@necel.com> writes:
> I think for consistency and the sanity of our users, M-p and M-n should
> have the standard bindings in this mode.  The existing mode-specific
> binding of M-p doesn't seem useful enough to preserve (it could be moved
> to a different key, e.g. M-+ or something if people actually use it for
> something).

This has been taken care of.

Jay