On 2024-08-19 13:08, Pip Cet wrote: > one can come up with similar examples without a > backward jump, which loop unquittably even in emacs-30 Ouch, in that case this issue happens regardless of the recent 'volatile'-related changes, and we should address the issue regardless of what we do with 'volatile'. Would the attached patch fix the issue in master? It can be tuned further (and obviously needs comments); I'm just trying to see whether I understand the point you're making. This patch affects behavior only if BYTE_CODE_SAFE, because as I understand things we trust bytecode anyway otherwise.