* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
       [not found] <7rekia9t4h.fsf@elements.hack.se>
@ 2004-12-02  4:02 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-12-02  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Henrik Holmboe, bugs

> Hello,

> it seems that I cannot subscribe to the RSS at O'Reilly's ONLamp at
> <http://www.onlamp.com/>. You can find the RSS at
> <http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=rss10&t=ALL&c=5544>.

> Hope this is solvable. :)

xml.el cannot parse it because of the following section:

<!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
<!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
 "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">
%HTMLlat1;
]>

which is in the head of that RSS.  I'm sorry I'm not familiar
with xml.el and nnrss.el.  Could anyone please investigate it?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Henrik Holmboe seems to use Emacs 21.3, so I think he will
need to use the latest xml.el even if the problem is solved.

* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
@ 2004-12-02  6:15   ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2004-12-02  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Henrik Holmboe, bugs, emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> <http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=rss10&t=ALL&c=5544>.
>
> xml.el cannot parse it because of the following section:
>
> <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
>  "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">
> %HTMLlat1;
> ]>

xml.el does not deal with external entities in the DTD.  I've done
some work on this, but it isn't quite ready.

That said, since this is an common public external entity, I think I
can hack it fairly quickly for maximum benefit.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
@ 2004-12-02  8:03     ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-12-02  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Henrik Holmboe, bugs, emacs-devel

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>>> <http://www.oreillynet.com/meerkat/?_fl=rss10&t=ALL&c=5544>.
>>
>> xml.el cannot parse it because of the following section:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
>> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
>>  "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
>>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">
>> %HTMLlat1;
>> ]>

> xml.el does not deal with external entities in the DTD.  I've done
> some work on this, but it isn't quite ready.

> That said, since this is an common public external entity, I think I
> can hack it fairly quickly for maximum benefit.

> Mark.

Thanks a lot for your quick response.  It seems to work fine for
me.  Henrik, I'm sorry I'm not sure whether it can be used by
Emacs 21.3 and Gnus v5.10.6.  You may possibly need to upgrade
them.

* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
@ 2004-12-02  8:16       ` Henrik Holmboe
From: Henrik Holmboe @ 2004-12-02  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, emacs-devel

Hello again,

and thanks for investigating this matter. See below.

>>> xml.el cannot parse it because of the following section:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
>>> <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
>>>  "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
>>>  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">
>>> %HTMLlat1;
>>> ]>
>
>> xml.el does not deal with external entities in the DTD.  I've done
>> some work on this, but it isn't quite ready.
>
>> That said, since this is an common public external entity, I think I
>> can hack it fairly quickly for maximum benefit.
>
>> Mark.
>
> Thanks a lot for your quick response.  It seems to work fine for
> me.  Henrik, I'm sorry I'm not sure whether it can be used by
> Emacs 21.3 and Gnus v5.10.6.  You may possibly need to upgrade
> them.

Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece
then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary
packages.

With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing
(Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other
relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates
from Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed?

Of course I can make the effort to install from source, and especially
for much-needed software. Reading email would qualify for that. :)

Please advise.

.h

--
Henrik Holmboe, Stockholm, Sweden
<http://henrik.holmboe.se/contact/>

* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
@ 2004-12-02 12:41         ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2004-12-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, emacs-devel

>> Henrik, I'm sorry I'm not sure whether it can be used by
>> Emacs 21.3 and Gnus v5.10.6.  You may possibly need to upgrade
>> them.

> Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece
> then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary
> packages.

> With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing
> (Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other
> relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates
>>From Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed?

I don't know what I should do in Debian because I'm using RedHat
but seldom use binary packages.  Maybe you'll be able to get
more helpful information in Debian communities.  However, there's
only one good news.  I tried the latest xml.el with Emacs 21.3
and Gnus v5.10.6 and roughly confirmed that it can be used.  If
you don't use CVS, try the following one:

ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43
or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43

> Of course I can make the effort to install from source, and especially
> for much-needed software. Reading email would qualify for that. :)

I don't recommend use of sources under development unless you do
it every day.  It is because tomorrow's sources are always best,
and it is my daily fun. ;-)

* Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
@ 2004-12-02 15:56         ` Mark A. Hershberger
From: Mark A. Hershberger @ 2004-12-02 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, emacs-devel

Henrik Holmboe <henrik@holmboe.se> writes:

> Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece
> then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary
> packages.

Me, too.

Of course, I have a Debian package that builds from CVS source every
night...  Still, when CVS doesn't build out-of-the-box, the package
doesn't update.

> With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing
> (Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other
> relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates
> from Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed?

When I install something for emacs, and it isn't debian-ized, yet, I
put it in my ~/.elisp directory (which is at the front of my
load-path).

Alternatively, you can use the debian package that I created.  Add the
following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

    deb http://mah.everybody.org/debian/ unstable .

After updating, you should be able to install "xml-el".

If this is useful, then I'll have it build nightly.

Mark.

--

@ 2004-12-02 19:09           ` linux.se [project]
From: linux.se [project] @ 2004-12-02 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:
[...]
> I don't know what I should do in Debian because I'm using RedHat
> but seldom use binary packages.  Maybe you'll be able to get
> more helpful information in Debian communities.  However, there's
> only one good news.  I tried the latest xml.el with Emacs 21.3
> and Gnus v5.10.6 and roughly confirmed that it can be used.  If
> you don't use CVS, try the following one:
>
> ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43
> or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43

Thanks for looking into the issue. It seems that it has solved my
problem. :)

.h

--

@ 2004-12-02 19:13           ` linux.se [project]
From: linux.se [project] @ 2004-12-02 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, emacs-devel

mah@everybody.org (Mark A. Hershberger) writes:
[...]
> When I install something for emacs, and it isn't debian-ized, yet, I
> put it in my ~/.elisp directory (which is at the front of my
> load-path).

This is the approach I used.

> Alternatively, you can use the debian package that I created.  Add the
> following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>     deb http://mah.everybody.org/debian/ unstable .
>
> After updating, you should be able to install "xml-el".
>
> If this is useful, then I'll have it build nightly.

Thanks for the very kind offer and taking time to package it up! I
will stay with the xml.el in load-path untill the official one catches
up, so dont bother your CPU-cycles with the xml-el.deb for my sake. :)

.h