From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
Cc: bugs@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 21:41:18 +0900	[thread overview]

>> Henrik, I'm sorry I'm not sure whether it can be used by
>> Emacs 21.3 and Gnus v5.10.6.  You may possibly need to upgrade
>> them.

> Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece
> then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary
> packages.

> With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing
> (Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other
> relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates
>>From Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed?

I don't know what I should do in Debian because I'm using RedHat
but seldom use binary packages.  Maybe you'll be able to get
more helpful information in Debian communities.  However, there's
only one good news.  I tried the latest xml.el with Emacs 21.3
and Gnus v5.10.6 and roughly confirmed that it can be used.  If
you don't use CVS, try the following one:

ftp://ftp.jpl.org/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43
or http://www.jpl.org/ftp/pub/tmp/xml.el-1.43

> Of course I can make the effort to install from source, and especially
> for much-needed software. Reading email would qualify for that. :)

I don't recommend use of sources under development unless you do
it every day.  It is because tomorrow's sources are always best,
and it is my daily fun. ;-)