From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
Cc: Utkarsh Singh <utkarsh190601@gmail.com>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master 4a1e97b: New user option for Git log switches
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:40:40 +0300	[thread overview]

On 10.06.2021 10:34, Michael Albinus wrote:

> Existing vc-*-diff-switches declare
>
>    :type '(choice (const :tag "Unspecified" nil)
>                   (const :tag "None" t)
>                   (string :tag "Argument String")
>                   (repeat :tag "Argument List" :value ("") string)))
>
> Existing vc-*-log-switches declare
>
>    :type '(choice (const :tag "None" nil)
>                   (string :tag "Argument String")
>                   (repeat :tag "Argument List" :value ("") string)))

Right, so it's either follow the example of existing vc-git*-switches
options, or of vc-*-log-switches options.

But to be frank the 'vc-annotate-switches' option is pretty useless, so
the latter seems to be the better example.

>> I figured it wouldn't be too bad to allow that possibility in the
>> future, but you are probably right and we should simplify this.
>
> In favor of uniformity, vc-git-log-switches might follow the scheme.

Now done in commit 86309efb4a.

>> 'hg log' and 'git log' are pretty different after all.
>
> Sure. But we're speaking about defcustom types, aren't we?

We were talking about whether having a possible value 't' is helpful for
the discussed option. And that value allows delegating to a
cross-backend variable, which is only useful when different backends can
accept the same options.