I think that's a very binary view of GitHub - it might be non-free, but given the huge community it has amassed, it's almost suicidal for projects to leave it, as they'd be reducing their contributor-base significantly. Projects that are hosted outside of GitHub get way less contributions and I don't think the Emacs users would benefit from this. I know that the people in FSF care a lot about freedom, but I care more about building the best Emacs packages possible, even I have to make some ideological compromises from time to time. Love it or hate it, GitHub helped a lot for the revival of the Emacs package ecosystem. Especially when you compare this to the days of EmacsWiki and SourceForge. I wouldn't take any steps to discourage package maintainers from using it. On Wed, Jul 6, 2022, at 4:58 PM, Yoni Rabkin wrote: > Akib Azmain Turja writes: > > > Recently, FSF has sent the following in the Free Software Supporter > > list:[1] > > > >> ### Give up GitHub: The time has come! > >> > >> *From June 30 by Software Freedom Conservancy* > >> > >> [Following GitHub's announcement](https://u.fsf.org/3me) of Copilot as > >> a for-profit product, Software Freedom Conservancy calls on all free > >> software developers to leave and "Give up GitHub!" The campaign page > >> lists major reasons to give up on GitHub. Conservancy says, > >> "developers have been, for too long, the proverbial frog in slowly > >> boiling water. GitHub's behavior has gotten progressively worse, and > >> we've excused, ignored, or otherwise acquiesced to cognitive > >> dissonance." Read about the initiative, join the public mailing list, > >> and learn how you can support the campaign yourself. > >> > >> * > > > > And GitHub is already listed as being a F grade software forge in "GNU > > Ethical Repository Criteria Evaluations" for atleast more than a > > year.[2] "GNU Ethical Repository Criteria" says that it's > > unacceptable.[3] > > > > But it is a matter of regret that many (about 133 out of 356 on my > > downloaded archive-contents) GNU Emacs packages on GNU ELPA (let alone > > NonGNU ELPA and MELPA) use GitHub. What steps should we take about > > them? (Kicking them out of ELPA is indeed not an option.) > > Kicking them out would be unkind. But asking that new projects going > forward use a different backend seems reasonable. That ideally should be > accompanied with a few recommendations. > > Emms has been always been hosted on Savannah (for many years now), and > it works well for us. Emms is a mid-sized Emacs package with relatively > light development work. Savannah has been a stable and reliable home > over many years. > > Personally, I don't prefer to interface life or work through a browser, > so the features, or lack thereof, of the Savannah Website never bothered > me. For Emms we use the mailing lists Savannah provides, Savannah's git > repo, and I try to keep an eye on irc for people commenting about > problems and improvements. > > As an Emacs package, yes, we have been asked by many people over the > years why we don't just use github, and I'm sure that Emms is indeed > mirrored there and therefore has been, without any of the copyright > holder's consent, been added to microsoft's mass code theft project. > > -- > "Cut your own wood and it will warm you twice" > >