From: "Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev>
To: "Emacs Devel" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 17:33:00 +0300	[thread overview]

I think that's a very binary view of GitHub - it might be non-free, but given the huge community it has amassed, it's almost suicidal for projects to leave it, as they'd be reducing their contributor-base significantly.  Projects that are hosted outside of GitHub get way less contributions and I don't think the Emacs users would benefit from this. I know that the people in FSF care a lot about freedom, but I care more about building the best Emacs packages possible, even I have to make some ideological compromises from time to time.

Love it or hate it, GitHub helped a lot for the revival of the Emacs package ecosystem. Especially when you compare this to the days of EmacsWiki and SourceForge. I wouldn't take any steps to discourage package maintainers  from using it.