* Annoying Fonts Window in Emacs on MacOS - How to Hide
@ 2019-10-29 19:31 Mark H. David
From: Mark H. David @ 2019-10-29 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I frequently type Command+T by mistake in Emacs because in browser apps (particularly Chrome) it's used for creating a new tab, and I do that so often, I must do it by mistake. I almost never change fonts, and never with command+t. Ever.
So, I looked into this a bit, and it's a documented "feature" for Emacs on MacOS (see: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#toc14) and for MacOS generally for documents (see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236). Apple's MacOS doc says: Command-T: Show or hide the Fonts window.

In various apps with document windows (e.g., build-in TextEdit as well as Emacs) it is supposed to pop up a window thingee that lets you choose fonts. Whatever, I never use. I always just want to get rid of it.

Here's the annoying and buggy part with respect to Emacs: you cannot hide it from the keyboard.  It's supposed hidden by doing a second Command+T. That works in other apps, e.g., TextEdit, but it doesn't work in Emacs. In addition, you cannot select the popup "windoid" that results, even by Command+`. Even if you do select the windoid somehow (e.g., by clicking it), you cannot dismiss it by typing Command+W.

So, this is super annoying and a bug.

Here's my Emacs version.

"GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1911)) of 2017-09-12"

I'd appreciate knowing if this is a known bug, if it's fixed upstream, and if anyone can share any workaround.

Thanks,

-Mark