* tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-03 18:40 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-03 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I suggest it's time to move some more things from the
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs directory to old-gnu/emacs. Perhaps everything
before 21.4, including all but the last stand-alone elisp-manual and
lisp-intro?

I think adding a README that says leim and the two manuals are
included from 22.1 onwards would also be helpful.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  0:17 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-06-04  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    I suggest it's time to move some more things from the
    ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs directory to old-gnu/emacs. Perhaps everything
    before 21.4, including all but the last stand-alone elisp-manual and
    lisp-intro?

    I think adding a README that says leim and the two manuals are
    included from 22.1 onwards would also be helpful.

Please do both.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  2:20   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-04  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     I suggest it's time to move some more things from the
>     ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs directory to old-gnu/emacs. Perhaps everything
>     before 21.4, including all but the last stand-alone elisp-manual and
>     lisp-intro?
>
>     I think adding a README that says leim and the two manuals are
>     included from 22.1 onwards would also be helpful.
>
> Please do both.

I don't know how (and even if I did, I suspect I don't have the
required privs). Can somebody help? Do I email <ftp-upload at gnu.org>?

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  3:12     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2007-06-04  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>>     I suggest it's time to move some more things from the
>>     ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs directory to old-gnu/emacs. Perhaps everything
>>     before 21.4, including all but the last stand-alone elisp-manual and
>>     lisp-intro?
>>
>>     I think adding a README that says leim and the two manuals are
>>     included from 22.1 onwards would also be helpful.
>>
>> Please do both.
>
> I don't know how (and even if I did, I suspect I don't have the
> required privs). Can somebody help? Do I email <ftp-upload at gnu.org>?

Yeah.  The automated upload system apparently doesn't handle file
moves, so this will probably have to be done by hand by the FTP
admins.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  6:34       ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-04  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Glenn Morris, rms, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:
> Yeah.  The automated upload system apparently doesn't handle file
> moves, so this will probably have to be done by hand by the FTP
> admins.

What does the archive command do? I used it for some old w32 binaries,
but I can't see where they went.

/old-gnu/ seems to be a snapshot of the ftp server from when it was
restored after the breakin a few years ago.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  7:05         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-04  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Chong Yidong, rms, emacs-devel

Jason Rumney wrote:

> /old-gnu/ seems to be a snapshot of the ftp server from when it was
> restored after the breakin a few years ago.

That's not what gnu/emacs/README.olderversions implies. (Until I saw
that, I was going to suggest creating gnu/emacs/old.)

old-gnu/emacs/windows is very nicely organized, by the way. :)

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  7:34       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-04  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

Chong Yidong wrote:

> Yeah.  The automated upload system apparently doesn't handle file
> moves, so this will probably have to be done by hand by the FTP
> admins.

I sent in a request.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04  9:16           ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-06-04  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Chong Yidong, rms, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:
> old-gnu/emacs/windows is very nicely organized, by the way. :)

Maintainers used to have full access to the FTP server, so things could
be organized as the maintainer saw fit.
Now, the upload procedure is much more limited.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-04 16:44       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-06-04 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: rgm, emacs-devel

I asked the sysadmins to do this or explain how.

* Re: tidying ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
@ 2007-06-05  2:43         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-06-05  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Chong Yidong, rms

The GNU sysadmins moved the old files.

Please could some emacs person with the ability to add files to the
ftp area upload a README file, with contents along the lines of:

  As of Emacs 22.1, leim, elisp-manual, and emacs-lisp-intro are no
  longer distributed separately, but are included in the emacs tar
  file.