* ange-ftp bug
@ 2008-02-19 12:37 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-02-19 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

After this change

2008-02-13  Michael Albinus  <michael.albinus@gmx.de>

	* net/ange-ftp.el (ange-ftp-quote-string): Use `shell-quote-argument'.
	This DTRT even on w32 machines.
	(ange-ftp-cf1): Quote FILENAME.

I am annoyed with the strange behavior of dired when accessing
the remote directory.  The ftp session gotten when I accessed
"/yamaoka@jpl.org:~/bin/" is below.  Note that the directory
actually accessed is "/home/yamaoka/mark/bin/".  I'm not sure
where "mark" comes from, but it might have been gotten from
the "Hash mark printing" line mistakenly.

OTOH, the former `ange-ftp-quote-string' function returns the
null string when the argument is nil while the present one
returns nil.  And modifying it into

(defun ange-ftp-quote-string (string)
  (if (stringp string)
      (shell-quote-argument string)
    ""))

solves the problem, though I don't know why it does the trick.
Could anyone please fix it properly?  Thanks.

331-(220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------)
331-(220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.)
331-(220-Local time is now 06:21. Server port: 21.)
331-(220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.)
331 User yamaoka OK. Password required
230-User yamaoka has group access to:  yamaoka
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
hash
202 Please tell me who you are
pwd
ftp> Hash mark printing on (1024 bytes/hash mark).
cd /home/yamaoka/mark/bin/
ftp> 257 "/" is your current location
ls -alt /tmp/ange-ftp28951swG
ftp> 550 Can't change directory to /home/yamaoka/mark/bin/: No such file or directory
ls -alt /tmp/ange-ftp28951swG
ftp> 227 Entering Passive Mode (43,15,125,10,168,146)
150 Connecting to port 43155
226 44 matches total
ftp> quote mdtm /home/yamaoka/mark/bin/
227 Entering Passive Mode (43,15,125,10,168,150)
150 Connecting to port 43159
226 44 matches total
ftp> 500 command not understood
quote mdtm /home/yamaoka/mark/bin/
ftp> 500 command not understood

* Re: ange-ftp bug
@ 2008-02-19 19:28 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-02-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katsumi Yamaoka; +Cc: emacs-devel

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Hi,

Hi,

> OTOH, the former `ange-ftp-quote-string' function returns the
> null string when the argument is nil while the present one
> returns nil.  And modifying it into
>
> (defun ange-ftp-quote-string (string)
>   (if (stringp string)
>       (shell-quote-argument string)
>     ""))
>
> solves the problem, though I don't know why it does the trick.
> Could anyone please fix it properly?  Thanks.

The result in dired looks strange, indeed. Since your patch reverts the
behaviour to the original one in case of a nil argument, I believe it is
TRT. I've applied your patch to the trunk.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: ange-ftp bug
@ 2008-02-20  3:11   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2008-02-20  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

>> (defun ange-ftp-quote-string (string)
>>   (if (stringp string)
>>       (shell-quote-argument string)
>>     ""))
>>
>> solves the problem,

> The result in dired looks strange, indeed. Since your patch reverts the
> behaviour to the original one in case of a nil argument, I believe it is
> TRT. I've applied your patch to the trunk.

Works as before.  Thank you.