* problem with system_eol_type
@ 2006-07-31  6:04 Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2006-07-31  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mule-ja

I've got several complaints about the change I made a few
months ago regarding the handling of the default eol-type.

Previously, when a coding system without explicit eol-type
(e.g. iso-latin-1) was specified for encoding, Unix-like
eol-type is selected on any platform.

The change I made was to use an eol-type set to
system_eol_type (CRLF on Windows, LF otherwise) in such a
case.  To me, that change was just a bug fix.

But, the bug-reports say that there are many codes that
assumes the previous behaviour, and some of them now don't
work well on Windows.

I think that it is cleaner to ask a program to specify the
eol-type explicitly if it requires a specific eol-type on
encoding.  But, as long as the behavior is clearly
documented, it seems that the previous behaviour is also not
that bad.

What do people think?

---
Kenichi Handa
handa@m17n.org

PS.  I included mule-ja maining list in CC:.  Mule-ja
subscribers please write in English if you want to reply to
this mail.