On 6/4/20 3:44 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > So, IIUC we consider `make-text-button` to be functional rather than > side-effecting, right? It *ought* to be functional but it's currently not, because make-text-button has a side effect on its argument string. How about the attached patch? This would mean SLY would need the patch I sent in earlier[1] since the attached patch is not 100% compatible with existing Emacs; however, it does make make-text-button more functional and that's a good thing. [1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2020-06/msg00152.html