Terje Bless writes: > But the switch to buffer bit is simply that me and Hrvoje are speaking of > slightly different things. Switch to buffer by name is there, but I'd like > to cycle through buffers sequentially; analogous to switching between > applications using Alt-TAB on Windows or Cmd-TAB on Mac OS. > > A simple repetetive action instead of a single complicated one. I have attached some sample code that does just what you want ;-) You probably want to attach it to a key though. Email me privately if you want help with that. I have only tested it in XEmacs. I wrote this for a new emacs user who wanted just what you said, an Alt-TAB for buffers. However, most people tend to keep the number of windows on their desktop to a relatively low number. Too many windows and the desktop gets so cluttered that you cannot deal with the windows. Plus, you will tend to run out of memory :-) On the other hand, the number of buffers in an active emacs session can get huge. I have had my current emacs session running for about 2 hours and have not been doing any majour development, just email and this and that. I am up to 30 buffers. At work I can easily have sessions running for days with hundreds of open buffers. The above user quickly gave up on the command, so it is not heavily tested :-) It also probably needs a previous-buffer command since if you overshoot the buffer you have to go through the entire list again. Now, both the user and I are developers. Maybe in a different environment the command would be useful. If so, maybe something like this should go in emacs. Cheers, Sean MacLennan