* Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
       [not found]                 ` <jwvwt4kdfhq.fsf-monnier+emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-25 10:48                   ` Chris Moore
From: Chris Moore @ 2008-03-25 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ihs_4664, Miles Bader

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:59 PM, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> >> Does anybody agree with Richard on this one?
>
> > Technically I prefer Jason's solution, but I think in practice it's an
> > extremely minor issue.  I've only ever had problems with uppercase
> > extensions on image files, so the less general fix of simply adding
> > appropriate entries to auto-mode-alist would suffice for me at least.
>
> I'd agree to that, but I understand Richard's answer to be "no it would be
> wrong to do that, let's never again consider it".

I just transferred another bunch of .JPG images from my phone, and they
still don't open as images in Emacs.

I remember there was a long argument about how to fix this, but it seems
nothing was done about it.  Was that an oversight, or do we really not want
Emacs to be able to open .JPG images?

* Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
@ 2008-03-25 14:41                     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-03-25 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ihs_4664, Stefan Monnier, Miles Bader

> I just transferred another bunch of .JPG images from my phone, and they
> still don't open as images in Emacs.

Is it because of the uppercase extension? I had the same problem some
days ago, but I solved it by renaming them to .jpg instead as I don't
like uppercase file extensions.

* Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-25 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Moore; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ihs_4664, Miles Bader

>> > Technically I prefer Jason's solution, but I think in practice it's an
>> > extremely minor issue.  I've only ever had problems with uppercase
>> > extensions on image files, so the less general fix of simply adding
>> > appropriate entries to auto-mode-alist would suffice for me at least.
>>
>> I'd agree to that, but I understand Richard's answer to be "no it would be
>> wrong to do that, let's never again consider it".

> I just transferred another bunch of .JPG images from my phone, and they
> still don't open as images in Emacs.

> I remember there was a long argument about how to fix this, but it seems
> nothing was done about it.  Was that an oversight, or do we really not want
> Emacs to be able to open .JPG images?

Have you tried to set auto-mode-case-fold?

* Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
@ 2008-03-25 15:06                       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-03-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ihs_4664, Chris Moore, Miles Bader

>  Have you tried to set auto-mode-case-fold?

I have. Now. Nice! :)

* Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
@ 2008-03-25 15:07                       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2008-03-25 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, ihs_4664, Chris Moore, Miles Bader